watched my neighbor brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdphillips73

Reaction score
My neighbors had company and someone was set up brewing a batch outside so out of curiosity I eventually walked over and asked what they were brewing. "red ale," they responded. We chit chated for a few as he went through his brewing process. I watched him pour some concentrated dye (im assuming flavor?) into his glass carboy then pour his wort into the carboy. Finally, he hung a garden hose into the carboy and filled it up some more. I asked, "where do you ferment that?" Oh I just sit it in the house, I dont worry about chilling it or anything, 75 degrees is fine for an ale," he responded.

wow.

I fermented my first beer (an extra pale ale) on the counter top in my house at 70 degrees with US05. It was actually pretty good, but I quickly went to at least using the frozen water bottle method for temperature control after the first batch. I came on this forum worried as hell that the beer was going to turn out like crap since I was reading that fermentation could push the temp 10+ degrees higher than ambient temp so I was expecting a bandaid crap beer but luckily it didn't.

Ive done a few smash brews early on in my fast ferment that got up to 79 for a day. It was one of the fruitiest neers ive made. Not bad, but not what i intended.

He's eligible for some venture capital to start a pro brewery with a performance and attitude like that. Merica!

And they wonder why their beer just ok to bad.

May have never tasted anyone else's Homebrew before and had nothing to compare it to...

I attended Bluebonnett Brewoff Many Years and judged many times and It never amazed me that there were beers that made it into into the second round of judging and I was total shocked and asked myself...How in the H e Double L did these Beers make it this far :confused:

May have never tasted anyone else's Homebrew before and had nothing to compare it to...

I attended Bluebonnett Brewoff Many Years and judged many times and It never amazed me that there were beers that made it into into the second round of judging and I was total shocked and asked myself...How in the H e Double L did these Beers make it this far :confused:

I feel the same way from some of the start up breweries/ brew pubs around here.

My neighbors had company and someone was set up brewing a batch outside so out of curiosity I eventually walked over and asked what they were brewing. "red ale," they responded. We chit chated for a few as he went through his brewing process. I watched him pour some concentrated dye (im assuming flavor?) into his glass carboy then pour his wort into the carboy. Finally, he hung a garden hose into the carboy and filled it up some more. I asked, "where do you ferment that?" Oh I just sit it in the house, I dont worry about chilling it or anything, 75 degrees is fine for an ale," he responded.

wow.

That is pretty much how I got started, hose and all. No boil. Just dump a can of pre-hopped liquid extract into the carboy, top off with water, dump in yeast, walk away. Not good beer.

You have to walk before you can run.

Local hardware store has started carrying some basic brew supplies. I was in need of a bulk bag of malt so I stopped in. They were asking why in the heck do you need so much grain when we have all these (extract) kits??? I kept my mouth shut beyond saying a 50 pound bag is 3 batches and with friends and family drinking it it doesn't last long! So they asked 3 batches? Yes, 11 gallons at a time... then the employee said he brewed 2 batches a year of whatever kit was on sale the cheapest because it was at expiration date... I just shook my head and asked if had ever tasted all grain home brew. He said no so I asked him if he ever went to Brau Brothers(2 guys who started as home brewers and still do small batch brewing) there in town. he said he had heard their beers were different and he wasn't into anything with a lot of flavor...

I had to take my bag of malt and go check out... before I said something that got me in trouble... I will buy bulk malt there and that is it because it saves me a bundle on shipping!

Local hardware store has started carrying some basic brew supplies. I was in need of a bulk bag of malt so I stopped in. They were asking why in the heck do you need so much grain when we have all these (extract) kits??? I kept my mouth shut beyond saying a 50 pound bag is 3 batches and with friends and family drinking it it doesn't last long! So they asked 3 batches? Yes, 11 gallons at a time... then the employee said he brewed 2 batches a year of whatever kit was on sale the cheapest because it was at expiration date... I just shook my head and asked if had ever tasted all grain home brew. He said no so I asked him if he ever went to Brau Brothers(2 guys who started as home brewers and still do small batch brewing) there in town. he said he had heard their beers were different and he wasn't into anything with a lot of flavor...

I had to take my bag of malt and go check out... before I said something that got me in trouble... I will buy bulk malt there and that is it because it saves me a bundle on shipping!

Sometimes It is best to just smile and keep your mouth shut.
as Forrest Gump said "Stupid is, Stupid Does" .

That is why I get my supplies at a Small Local Shop...They know the Product.. They know the finished products.. They know the importance of great ingrediants..They order enough product to sale and not sit around collecting dust on the shelf to discount later.

I wouldn't knock beer until I drunk it! I've met 'sub-standard' brewing practices in all kinds of settings where the end product was spotless. A mate used to make plum wine from fresh plums in a bucket. Weirdly, it never seemed to have an infection and came just like the plum wine you'd expect in a Chinese restaurant.

Here in the UK lots of breweries don't use temperature control (or have very basic means like putting a heater on when it gets very cold), and most FVs are open. Many of those breweries produce top notch beer.

Knocking people's produce without trying it based on their process is a bit silly. You would never drink Cantillon that way either. Of course, nothing stops your neighbour's beer being terrible!

wow.

RDWHAnnnnnnnnddd... I'm not so sure anymore.

Back