Waste??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAndo

Reaction score
From what I've read here, home brewing can result in a fair amount of drinking brews you aren't entirely happy with. I get the impression that you guys will try every which way to save/savour your creations, even if they don't turn out too palatable! :) Is that an accurate assumption??

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Yes and no. I don't dump a beer until it's fully carbonated and then chilled. I ask around for advice too. This is assuming it was not infected. I have thankfully not encountered that.

If I can drink it, I will. I'm not opposed to dumping. In fact, I will dump 4 gallons tomorrow.

Why do you ask? You make it sound like a bad thing to finish a beer and see how it tastes.

Yes again, I have even blended a finished brew with a new brew and then fermented that blend to finish, turned out fine. Whilst it is not ever a method, it worked, so many things one shouldn't do, but, it worked.
I have never dumped a brew in 30years.

@hello, I didn't mean to make it sound like a bad thing! I actually think it's a good thing. (I really just want some good stories and hopefully to open up a bit of a discussion) Experimentation seems to be a big part of this for a lot of brewers, and I'm all for that, it's one of the things that is attracting me to the hobby! :)

No. It all depends on the beer and the problem. I have gotten to the point where I will not hold on to a beer if it's not drinkable. Sometimes simply if I don't like it and have a beer ready to go into the keg.

It's too easy to make good beer. I don't see the point in drinking the odd bad batch for the sake of saving a few dollars.

No. Life it too short to drink bad (or just not too good) beer.

I don't eat yucky food, either. I never settle for mediocre.

If something isn't what I want, I have no problems with dumping it out.

@hello, I didn't mean to make it sound like a bad thing! I actually think it's a good thing. (I really just want some good stories and hopefully to open up a bit of a discussion) Experimentation seems to be a big part of this for a lot of brewers, and I'm all for that, it's one of the things that is attracting me to the hobby! :)

Oh good. I actually tried to make a hop tea to fix this amber I brewed but it just isn't worth it to me. I brewed it for someone who hates bitter beers and somehow at 8 IBUs, it is too bitter. I am confused but I am not wasting my time or space on this beer. I have more than enough beer otherwise to accommodate my drinking. :)

I have a friend that will drink pretty much anything, so I give him some sometimes. If the beer is just flat out terrible though... it gets poured out.

I've also had success using bad beers to make good bread, so there's that.

I dumped one batch because the hop bag got pinned to the bottom of the kettle by the chiller and it burned up under 10 gallons of wort. Literally blackened and charred with a big whole burned right through it. the whole batch tasted of bad camp fire smoke. I tried to like it through about 3 pints and then the rest met the compost pile.

I have dumped one batch only out of 50 brewed. That does not mean that all others were top flight. I have about a case that is reserved for making beer batter for fish. Everything else has been very drinkable.

I have had a few batches come out not so good. I have even dumped a few bottles of bad brews and a keg of bad brew. Usually if it is in bottle I will just forget about the ones I do not really like and try them later on down the road, or disconnect the keg, throw it in the holding fridge and forget about it while I drink a reserve keg. Sometimes they get better. If they don't, they get dumped.

Sometimes a little time will heal a not good beer into a mediocre beer or at times an not bad beer. If it is a terrible beer, it is not worth the effort. If I need the keg/bottles I will dump and refill, if not I will often let it ride for a while and see what happens. In the beginning, I will admit that I have forced some home brews that I really didnt like much down my gullet because I was not brewing often enough to have a pipeline built up where dumping a batch wouldnt hurt so much. Then again, with some off brews, after the first one stockholm syndrome kicks in and a meh beer becomes a not bad beer.

Maybe I am rambling, but I hoppe this is what you are asking for.

Over the last 25+ years I've choked down a few 'less than perfect' brews. A few years ago I stumbled upon a countertop water distillation device at the local 'second hand' store. Let's just say that life has taken a 'twist' since then, haha!

Back