waste not want not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
sooooo, is anyone as totally cheapass as myself and just can't throw out those last 2 pints of brew in your bottling bucket after it passes below the spigot line??? I just pour them in a couple of pint glasses and then decant off when the trub settles out ... refrigerate and drink when cold.

I tip the bucket to get one more bottle, then I drink the last pint from a mason jar . . . . .I skip that step where you refridgerate it:) Beer is great right out of the fermenter.

I sanitize a small funnel and keep filling bottles until it is gone. Normally the last one is not really full, so I don't cap it, just let it settle and drink, warm and flat. Gives me the best indication of the very final product. If it good when warm and flat, chilled and carbonated it will be great!

Yeah, by tipping, I can get to the point of filling about 2/3 of one last 12 oz longneck...what's left in the bucket is about 2/3 of a pint. I drink that one as payment for a bottling job well done, and usually cap off that last partially full bottle to drink later that same day.

Tipping is great. Others use a dip tube (I think Revvy has a writeup on that).

I also do a funnel. Shortfills are great for sampling, now or later.

I tilt the bottling bucket to get all but a few ounces out of it. One of these days I'll actually get off my ass and make a dip tube like Revvy posted about in this thread.

EDIT: Man, it took a long time to get that posted. Forum kept hanging up on me.

I made a dip tube out of a threaded cpvc elbow. It screws on replacing the nut on the inside. What is left over is about 1/4 of a bottle. No tipping required.

But a couple of $$ would be nice.;)

Latest posts

Back