Washing yeast from a spiced ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballewblake

Reaction score
I've got two spice beers (Holiday and Pumpkin) going and I was wondering if you could harvest yeast from a spice beer to use in a none spiced beer?

The flavors will likely transfer... It's a fact that when you reuse yeast, any flavors from the last batch may appear in the second (or further) batches.

It sounds like you're too far along with yours, but you could always ferment them out & add the spices to the secondary. Then wash your yeast from the primary.

If you used spices in the boil, you're probably better off not re-using that yeast unless you have a beer that wouldn't be destroyed if some of those spice flavors come through.

It sounds like you're too far along with yours, but you could always ferment them out & add the spices to the secondary. Then wash your yeast from the primary.

I don't typically do secondaries anymore, but when I add spices or dry hop, I always move it off the yeast first.

If you used spices in the boil, you're probably better off not re-using that yeast unless you have a beer that wouldn't be destroyed if some of those spice flavors come through.

I did the spices in the boil. I guess its only good for doing another spice beer in then.

The flavors will likely transfer... It's a fact that when you reuse yeast, any flavors from the last batch may appear in the second (or further) batches.

So are you saying you'd only reuse yeast for a clone of the original recipe, or a brew that would completely mask the original? I got some of the Belgian private collection from wyeast for this season and wanted to re-harvest those a few times. But some of them are going to be high ABV beers. What I've read is you wouldn't want to reuse yeast from high gravity beers. So maybe do some simpler beers first? Harvest that yeast then I'll have about 4 jars to pitch.

I wouldn't reuse yeast from a powerful flavored style in a less powerful flavored style. In fact, if it came from a strongly flavored style I would only want to reuse it in a beer of that style.

Back