Washing Yeast from a Pepper Infused Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonello61

Reaction score
I tried "washing" today for the first time and seemed to get it right (it was very simple). However, the yeast I am retaining came out of an IPA to which I added a few pepper tincture variants to in secondary. I am curious as to if the Anaheim, Jalapeño, Serrano, and Habanero HEAT may pass on through to the next batch when rep itched and more so has it affected the yeast health. Do yeast retain flavor from styles of beer in which they were used?

Even though washing yeast doesn't omit 100% of the beer in which it was previously in, I would guess it's diluted significantly enough to have little to no effect. Input and personal experience is appreciated!

No experience with the peppers, but there would have been no concerns by taking the yeast from the primary. More trub to rinse out, if all the hop debris was added to the primary, but not difficult.

Latest posts

Back