Washing a Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Getting ready for my first brew day in a long time. I used to clean a carboy by first filling it with water, then adding a scoop of OxiClean. After letting it sit overnight I'd rinse it using a Jet Washer. But, last year we renovated the bathrooms and now there isn't a faucet in the house that I can attach anything to. Doing it outside with the Jet on a hose will be fine for small bottles, but holding the hose in one hand and the carboy upside down in the other isn't anything I want to try! Any ideas on how to give it a good upside down rinse?

Bucket Blaster does the job. I changed out the end on mine with a CIP ball that works great on everything I use it on. Mostly kegs, but I've also used it on kegmenters. As long as the opening in your carboi is large enough to get around the pipe, and allow the solution to flow back into the bucket, you're set.

My normal process would be:
Rinse out in kitchen sink (with sprayer).
Fill bucket with about 3 gallons of warm/hot PBW solution.
Run for ~10 minutes.
If no other items need cleaning, dump solution, rinse bucket and then rinse out item cleaned (either with clear water in the bucket, or just the sprayer in the kitchen sink).
I don't normally run Starsan in the bucket blaster since it's easy enough to just add some into the item, seal it up, and get good coverage. If you do decide to use Starsan in it, keep in mind how it will foam up.

I did get the pump in the bucket blaster I purchased replaced under warranty (by MoreBeer) so at least they honor that. ;)

Another benefit is how you can easily use this to clean out your corny/ball lock kegs. Easy to clean/sanitize inside the dip tubes as well since it comes setup for that.

I also have a male QD fitting that I connect to the pump when I want to run PBW through my plate chiller (when removed from the brew stand). Does a solid job of cleaning that too. When I don't want to remove the chiller from the stand, I use a more powerful sump pump to clean, flush, and sanitize it. But when removed, the blaster does a solid job.

Bucket Blaster does the job. I changed out the end on mine with a CIP ball that works great on everything I use it on. Mostly kegs, but I've also used it on kegmenters. As long as the opening in your carboi is large enough to get around the pipe, and allow the solution to flow back into the bucket, you're set.

Run for ~10 minutes.
If no other items need cleaning, dump solution, rinse bucket and then rinse out item cleaned (either with clear water in the bucket, or just the sprayer in the kitchen sink).
I don't normally run Starsan in the bucket blaster since it's easy enough to just add some into the item, seal it up, and get good coverage. If you do decide to use Starsan in it, keep in mind how it will foam up.

I did get the pump in the bucket blaster I purchased replaced under warranty (by MoreBeer) so at least they honor that. ;)

Another benefit is how you can easily use this to clean out your corny/ball lock kegs. Easy to clean/sanitize inside the dip tubes as well since it comes setup for that.

I can vouch that this is a great way to clean your carboy. I have a similar system (kegwasher) and I wouldn't do it any other way. Looking at it though I like this system a little better.

The 4 gallon bucket (included) makes it easy to use IMO/IME. I've marked mine at the 3 gallon level since that's how much PBW solution I like to use. I also place it in the kitchen sink most often, since it's easier to use it there. Plus, if anything spills, it's easier to clean up. ;) I also like how the pump uses a standard 1/2" NPT connection on it (outlet). Which means you have options for what you connect to it. I can also get the faucet over the edge of the bucket, so I can fill it with clear water, letting it run out of the plate chiller into the sink, to flush/rinse.

I put PBW/water in carboys, let sit overnight and then just rinse out. Sometimes a carboy brush is needed, but usually not. No pressure washing is needed.

I just make sure it looks clean and then sanitize it before using. I get only as fiddly about it as is necessary to get any crud off the inside.

I tried those years ago and they sucked for anything except carboys. I wanted to use them to clean my kegmenters, sucked Forget about corny kegs. IMO, it's only good for cleaning one type of item. The bucket blaster (and others like it) will clean everything from a carboy to kegmenter to fermzilla to corny kegs equally. The pump moving the warm/hot solution inside (where it's needed) gets things cleaned. A 10 minute cycle is typically enough to get anything I put on it clean. If not, I give it some more time before going for something else. Fortunately, I can reach into my corny kegs to the bottom (3 gallon, and smaller, kegs). I do like how you can run the solutions through the posts and dip tubes. So you can clean the entire keg (inside) without taking the posts apart.

I'll probably be using mine over the weekend to clean a couple of kegs that are either empty or will be by then.

Run for ~10 minutes.

+1 for the BUCKET BLASTER, it's great for carboys!!!

Forget about corny kegs.

Going a little off topic, they make a version of this with shorter pads for cleaning kegs: Keg Cleaner

You have to pull the dip tubes first, but then it does quick work of cleaning even the worst home brew sludge (I spund in the keg, so there is quite a bit). I use a long tubing brush for the out dip tube and just soak the poppets and other bits.

Going a little off topic, they make a version of this with shorter pads for cleaning kegs: Keg Cleaner

You have to pull the dip tubes first, but then it does quick work of cleaning even the worst home brew sludge (I spund in the keg, so there is quite a bit). I use a long tubing brush for the out dip tube and just soak the poppets and other bits.
I'm not inclined to use something connected to a drill to clean anything to do with fermenting these days. IME, using something like the Bucket Blaster is FAR easier. Plus, you don't need to worry about the pads wearing out, or making sure you're in the center of the opening/body in order to cover everything. As I mentioned, I DID try using the pad item before. Just was suboptimal in my experience. I also don't need to take anything out of the kegs to use the bucket blaster to do a full cleaning.

I found the cleaning pad on rod items not that long ago. I took the pads off, tossed them, and kept the stainless rod. I expect to have more use for the stainless rod down the road than the rest of it.

Does the Bucket Blaster truly "blast" at high pressure, as the name implies, or is it more of a continuous dowsing? Assuming there's nothing dried really hard, is there any need to pre-soak or otherwise prepare a vessel before cleaning? Also, does its spray pattern move around?

For the few glass carboys I still use, I keep them in plastic milk crates. Set crate with carboy into my laundry wash basin. Fill with warm water (not hot--don't want to crack the glass) and PBW, let it sit over night. Dump, rinse a couple times, invert to dry. Never had to use a brush.

For the few glass carboys I still use, I keep them in plastic milk crates. Set crate with carboy into my laundry wash basin. Fill with warm water (not hot--don't want to crack the glass) and PBW, let it sit over night. Dump, rinse a couple times, invert to dry. Never had to use a brush.

With my kegwasher, I put in some pbw and luke warm water then put on the carboy and plug it in. About 20-30 minutes later the carboy is clean then rinse and let it dry.

Put a wash cloth in the carboy along with hot water and PBW, plug the top, and shake the hell out of it. This actually gets it mostly clean. Then use one of those carboy brushes to get whatever is missed.

Been brewing since '95. Have only used One-Step (Logic) for all those years. One TBLSP per gallon. The One-Step develops enough free O2 to sanitize as well as cleans. Use hot (145)water (glass carboy)and have had no issues. But, I had a large commercial sink that is 5' long-- so I don't have to lift or move the full carboy. The product is more stable in hard water than competitors and I have never had an infection issue

An aside.... moved into 1100 sq. ft apartment in retirement home about 18 months ago-- had to sell/give away my brewery. But purchased a BrewMKR about2 months ago. Have made Am. Pale Ale, Baltic Porter (wonderful), and currently have an Am. IPA processing. Cool product. Very automated and makes good beer. Only downside is that it is one gallon. But, now I just don't give any away to friends and neighbors!

He didn't specify plastic or glass. Plastic won't break (but might distort depending on how hot the water is).

I haven't used a carboy (or bucket) since around 2011. :)
You have a point, he didn't specify, but hot water should not be used on a glass carboy. Even luke warm could crack the glass. It's all in the temperature difference.

And I haven't used anything but stainless since 2010 after my experience with a broken carboy.

You have a point, he didn't specify, but hot water should not be used on a glass carboy. Even luke warm could crack the glass. It's all in the temperature difference.

And I haven't used anything but stainless since 2010 after my experience with a broken carboy.
I used glass carboys for my initial batches of mead and then never again. I used plastic carboys for a bit, then switched over to kegmenters (before they were available from others). Upgraded to conical fermenters this year and don't plan to ever look back.

It's glass. Yes, I know all the downsides...but it's what I have, and I wanted to brew. Would like to go stainless, will be posting soon about that.

It's glass. Yes, I know all the downsides...but it's what I have, and I wanted to brew. Would like to go stainless, will be posting soon about that.

I have a stainless SS Brewbucket fermenter but I prefer brewing now with a cheap plastic Fermzilla All Rounder which allows me to ferment under pressure. It is hard to think of any good reason for me to use glass or plastic carboys anymore when cheap fermenters like the All Rounder are available.

Jeebus... After some of the postings (over a decade ago now) of injuries due to breaking glass carboys, I stopped using them.

I'm using my Spike CF10 units to ferment in now (I have two at present). I ferment under pressure (15psi working pressure rating), chill and harvest yeast, then chill more to carbonate fully. All in a single vessel. I'm really liking carbonating a batch in 1-3 days (I usually let it go at least two days) and then moving to serving keg and canning the rest.

I can't see ever using glass, or plastic fermenters (of any kind) ever again. I'm on the verge of getting my third CF10 so that I have one I can use for cider and then mead, while keeping the other two for beer recipes. Especially since I have a wee heavy coming up in a few batches that will be at least a couple of months from brewing to moving to keg and can (or maybe keg, bottle and can).

I use glass like to see what's going on during fermentation. Regarding cleaning, get a pond pump from Amazon (mine is 13 GPM ) and put it in a 5 gal bucket , cut a 6" hole in the lid and connect a 20" long 1/2" pvc pipe from pump and drill a pipe cap for a spray head Drill several small holes in the pipe cap to direct flow up and around the inside of the carboy. I put about 2 gals of 100 degree PBW in the bucket and let it run for about 1 hr. Always cleans up well, do my corney kegs like this also use a smaller pump to cleans all my tap lines.

Attachments

• SAM_1900.JPG
    SAM_1900.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 9
  • SAM_1901.JPG
    SAM_1901.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 10
  • SAM_1902.JPG
    SAM_1902.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 6
I've never understood how some people continue to feel the need to "see what's going on" inside the fermenter. After the second brew, I no longer felt that. It's what made moving to stainless so easy.

I've never understood how some people continue to feel the need to "see what's going on" inside the fermenter. After the second brew, I no longer felt that. It's what made moving to stainless so easy.

I still like clear fermentors, though after this many yrs of brewing I don't look much. But for cleaning purposes, I KNOW they are clean by inspection.

I like the big mouth bubblers. Have a ton of them. For cleaning, fill with water and oxyclean, next day sponge out, rinse with hose. So easy.

I still like clear fermentors, though after this many yrs of brewing I don't look much. But for cleaning purposes, I KNOW they are clean by inspection.

I like the big mouth bubblers. Have a ton of them. For cleaning, fill with water and oxyclean, next day sponge out, rinse with hose. So easy.
Conical with a CIP ball in the top spraying PBW all over the place for ~10 minutes, inspect (hit with brush or hose as needed). Rinse with hose and/or CIP ball then sanitize with CIP ball (running out the bottom drain during the process, looping back in).
I've also used the pumps on my brew stand to do this where they just loop through. Those times I get to use hot PBW solution (usually from the BK). Right now I have PBW in the BK that I'm using to clean the plate chiller. I'll get it heated before brew day and also use it to clean out the fermenter that's going to get emptied (might be two of them before the weekend).
I like how the conical fermenters have wheels, so I don't need to do any lifting. ;) Since I fill them with about eight gallons of wort on brew day, it weighs a bit. ;)

I clean it this way with an alcaline "cleaner", rinse, then fill it up with a iodine solution, rinse agaion and store. On brew day I would pass the alcaline again with the mechanic cleaning showed in the video, rinse, then sanitize with starsan. so far so good.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Video 2021-06-09 at 13.27.45.mp4
    12.3 MB
I use glass like to see what's going on during fermentation. Regarding cleaning, get a pond pump from Amazon (mine is 13 GPM ) and put it in a 5 gal bucket , cut a 6" hole in the lid and connect a 20" long 1/2" pvc pipe from pump and drill a pipe cap for a spray head Drill several small holes in the pipe cap to direct flow up and around the inside of the carboy. I put about 2 gals of 100 degree PBW in the bucket and let it run for about 1 hr. Always cleans up well, do my corney kegs like this also use a smaller pump to cleans all my tap lines.
I built a similar washer, maybe even the same pump. I put a CIP sprayer ball though, there's a skinny one that fits a carboy neck. I may switch to a tote instead of the bucket because occasionally the PBW (mine's homemade) foams so much that foam and water build up in the neck. Could also be a slight angle when the carboy is seated though. Antifoam might work too, I haven't tried that. I don't run Starsan through the pump but there's the other similar product that is low foaming as an option there. I just pour some Starsan in and swish.

@MrBJones Since you renovated your bathrooms, fair assumption is you are the homeowner? I recommend a utility sink of some kind if you don't have one. I have a cheap one bought from Lowes that came with a faucet with a pull out sprayer. But I added a cheap second faucet for a dedicate bottle washer. Although I keg mostly, I do sometimes bottle as well and that sprayer as you have learned is very useful for carboys. One day I will score a second stainless sink, 2 or 3 compartment with side boards is what I am after. I have a new faucet sprayer coming as a matter of fact, the old one developed a leak which resulted in a tsunami!

Also useful are some cheap foam kneel/sit pads. I keep one handy for putting the carboy down. I have a two different types of straps I use that sort of cushion the bottom but the sit pad is also helpful.

Latest posts

Back