Washed Yeast Storage Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgoehner

Reaction score
Hey everyone, been a while since I have been on here and at least that long since I brewed, but I have a question now that I have a brew coming up, actually 3, this weekend.

I brewed a Scotch ale for my Dad back in March and washed and stored a bunch of the yeast. Well I am making that beer again this weekend and have no idea if the yeast is still good. In a normal size mason jar I have about 3 inches of yeast with the water/beer on top of that.

It has been refrigerated the whole time, but I don't know how to tell if it is bad by looking at it. I was planning on making my starter tomorrow, if I even need one with that much yeast but that is another question, but if it is likely bad I can just as easily buy more.

What say the great minds of HBT?

Use a starter, that's what I do with washed yeast that sits longer than a month or so.

I'd say if it's the color of peanut butter or darker, toss it. Otherwise, I'd pitch it to a starter and if it takes off you're golden. I'd discard all of the water/beer except what's necessary to get the yeast loose enough to pour (maybe an inch?) and dump it all in. What I definitely would not do is pitch it straight to your wort. Good luck!

I'd say if it's the color of peanut butter or darker, toss it. Otherwise, I'd pitch it to a starter and if it takes off you're golden. I'd discard all of the water/beer except what's necessary to get the yeast loose enough to pour (maybe an inch?) and dump it all in. What I definitely would not do is pitch it straight to your wort. Good luck!

I have heard the peanut butter color comment before, but my issue is it was a fairly dark color when I first put it in a jar. Maybe I didn't wash well enough or correctly, it is not the brown of peanut butter, but not white either. I have the supplies, so might just do the starter tomorrow and if it fails, oh well, I but some more.

Washed yeast, once it settles, should be about the same color as the yeast in a White Labs vial. I realize it may start out darker and that the water/beer on top may be darker, but the washed yeast that eventually settles out should be pretty light in color. If your's isn't, i'd recommend taking a close look at your washing process for next time. This time, what the hey, give it a try.

No harm in trying to wake it up in a starter. you will know quickly if it is viable yeast. I made a starter out of yeast that was washed and put into the fridge 4 months ago and it is vigorously fermenting a 1.076 OG beer perfectly! Since you put the effort into washing it, give it a shot before you dump it.

No harm in making a starter, I've used yeast that has been in the fridge that was a year old after making a starter.

I also have used 1yr old yeast that i washed with great results. I actually just did this last week. Just make a small starter and step it up once or twice.

Back