Wash an entire case of bottles at once?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skylarsutton

Reaction score
I was helping a buddy bottle his stuff at one of those places where they do all the heavy lifting for you and you just boil/bottle (I'm not a fan, but let's move past that).

They had a sink rigged up to wash an entire case of bottles at once. You basically loaded an upside down case of bottles into this contraption which had a cutout for each bottle that forced the neck to slide over a very small nozzle. One button press and 30 seconds later all the bottles were washed / sanitized.

Has anyone seen a contraption like this available on the open market? I know I could build one but it would cost a small fortune in bottle washing nozzles and brass MIP/FIP connections.

Morebeer sells one:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/7271//Rinsing_Sparging_Base

$30 for a base that handles 12 bottles. You can also use it to purge a bottle with c02.

You do need a pond pump or something to recirculate the cleaning solution. You could get two of these, two pumps and two tubs to sit them in for around $100 or a little more. Use one for cleaning, one for sanitizing and a jet bottle rinser thing to rinse in between. Probably the best you can do, I don't see you DIYing this for much less.

Does anyone out there have this system? I am definitely trying to make bottling day easier and this would seem like it streamlines things...

I just use my dishwasher for sanitizing bottles. The only issue is that I have to wear work gloves while pulling them out after the dry cycle.

I just use my dishwasher for sanitizing bottles. The only issue is that I have to wear work gloves while pulling them out after the dry cycle.

I have had a few people tell me they do this, but I am really wondering how much water/cleaning solution even gets into the bottles when they are on those metal uprights. Don't those uprights block most of the opening in the bottles?

The idea is that you put clean bottles in the diswasher on the "sanitize" setting and heat sanitize them. Water doesn't need to get inside.

I have had a few people tell me they do this, but I am really wondering how much water/cleaning solution even gets into the bottles when they are on those metal uprights. Don't those uprights block most of the opening in the bottles?

I always rinse bottles well after use. No yeast sludge left in them. Dishwasher sanitizes. Never had a problem in about 1x10^6 bottles.

I always rinse my bottles with water at least X3 at point of use just to make cleaning easier - that way no residue and I can just run in the sanitize DW cycle.

By the way if you really wonder how much water a dishwasher can get into a very tiny space just run a large beer bottle or wine bottle in your dishwasher sideways (not pointing to any spray in particular) - caution, when you take it out it will be full of HOT water.

I always rinse bottles well after use. No yeast sludge left in them. Dishwasher sanitizes. Never had a problem in about 1x10^6 bottles.

I rinse my bottles very well after opening so they are basically clean like you are talking about. Normally even though I rinse my bottles after drinking I still do an OXYCLEAN soak before I sanitized and rebottle them. Is this overkill? I am basically wondering if since I already rinse them really well to start with do I have to have that extra step of soaking in OXY on bottling day or should I just give quick rinse and let run through the dishwasher on sanitize?

That would be great to cut MORE time off my bottling days!!

I rinse after opening making sure they are clean. Store and when I bottle I run them through the dishwasher w/ heat cycle. I've never had a problem in 40 cases of bottles. I do an Oxy soak when friends bring back bottles though. I'm sure they don't rinse like I do.

I rinse my bottles very well after opening so they are basically clean like you are talking about. Normally even though I rinse my bottles after drinking I still do an OXYCLEAN soak before I sanitized and rebottle them. Is this overkill? I am basically wondering if since I already rinse them really well to start with do I have to have that extra step of soaking in OXY on bottling day or should I just give quick rinse and let run through the dishwasher on sanitize?

That would be great to cut MORE time off my bottling days!!

After a quick rinse, I put them in open boxes outdoors. No oxyclean!

I do have a dedicated homer bucket out back for bottles with labels. It always has oxyclean solution in it. Only for labeled bottles, though.

I rinse every empty and store upside down in a milk crate. I got a peg rack from work with 49 pegs. I sanitize with the vinator just before I bottle and and drip dry them on the rack pegs.

Back