Warrior IPA Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad_C

Reaction score
I'm just getting into making my own recipies, and have a bunch of hops that I would like to start using, so I figured I would like to start making a few IPA's. The first one I have is this:

3 #s 2-row American
2 #s Vienna
2 #s Light DME
2 #s Amber DME

Warrior .25 oz @ 60 mins
Warrior .25 oz @ 55 mins
Warrior .25 oz @ 50 mins
Warrior .25 oz @ 45 mins
Warrior .25 oz @ 40 mins
Warrior .25 oz @ 35 mins
Cascade .25 oz @ 30 mins
Cascade .25 oz @ 25 mins
Cascade .25 oz @ 20 mins
Cascade .25 oz @ 15 mins
Nugget (Whole Leaf) 1 oz Dry Hopped in Primary after fermentation slows.
Danstar Nottingham Yeast.

OG 1.065 FG 1.016
IBU 70 SRM 6.2 ABV ~ 6.5%

How does this look? Is there a better malt than Vienna to use? How about the dry hopping with Nugget?

I'd ditch the Vienna, up the 2-row to 4 lbs, and add a lb of Munich.

I'd also ditch the Amber LME and just use Light (if you want some more color, you could mash ~1/2 lb of crystal 60L - remember Amber DME is basically 2-row, munich, and 60L).

For your hops schedule, I'd keep it simple and use 1 oz Warrior @ 60, 1/2 oz. Warrior @ 30, and 1 oz (at least!) Cascade at 5.

I kind of like the hop schedule, but I would want to feature more warrior aroma and flavor in a beer called Warrior IPA. Why not alternate the additions between cascade and warrior? Maybe dry hop with warrior? Does that one dry hop well?

I agree with AZ_IPA. I think drop the vienna and replace with munich. Are you doing a partial mash here? If you are just steeping the grains, you won't get fermentable sugars from them reliably. For steeping, go with caramunich instead of munich and lose the 2-row. It won't get you much. If you are doing a partial mash, maybe consider a crystal malt like AZ_IPA suggests. I really like carastan if you can get a hold of it. I think it is around 30-40 lovabond.

Yeah this will be a Partial Mash - Not just steeping.
I can up the Warrior as well, got 4 oz of it. I have 1 oz of Cascade just sitting around and I thought that the citrus flavors of each would mesh nicely.

So for adjustments I'm looking at:
4 #s 2-row American
1 #s Munich
1/2 #s Crystal L 60
4 #s Light DME

I think I'm going to keep the hop schedule as I originally planned, but might up the Warrior to a full 2 oz and add the Cascade in a little later?

Warrior .50 oz @ 60 mins
Warrior .25 oz @ 55 mins
Warrior .25 oz @ 50 mins
Warrior .25 oz @ 45 mins
Warrior .25 oz @ 40 mins
Warrior .25 oz @ 35 mins
Warrior .25 oz @ 30 mins
Cascade .25 oz @ 20 mins
Cascade .25 oz @ 15 mins
Cascade .25 oz @ 10 mins
Cascade .25 oz @ 05 mins

Any thoughts about dry hopping with Nugget?

Hopefully someone might chime in with some experience with Nugget, I have all week!

I'll be heading down to the LHBS this weekend to pick up what I dont already have and fill up another Primary! Thanks for the help. :D

Latest posts

Back