WARNING! Gross Digestive discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoellhorn82

Reaction score
I love this time of year that Oktoberfest beers come out. Usually I drink hoppy ales throughout the year but his time its all Sam Adams Oktoberfest until I get sick of them. THe past few years however I've noticed that if i drink 3 (or more) the next morning its notthing but liquid bowel movements. Anyone experience this? This usually only happens when i drink cheap lagers like stag or hamms. Perhaps I have a digestive aversion to lager yeast in general. It sucks cause I love the SA Oktoberfest

That used to happen to my hubby after drinking Spaten don't know why, thought because it was unfiltered or something like that... Of course alcohol is a diuretic, the water has to come out somehow. Maybe you need to urinate more. ;)

I understand the needs and uses of probiotics and currently take one. It's specific to lagers. Ales have no effect on me.

I've had issues with the 'rhea the morning after heavy drinking too, but I'm still tracking down what exactly it is that affects me. For a bit, I was thinking it was just too much beer (which is probably still true), but then I was thinking, maybe it's just my homebrew, which isn't filtered like commercial beers and has more yeast in it. Yeast is said to cause such issues. But in the case of SA oktoberfest, that's likely not the issue.
And maybe, for me, it's what I eat the next morning causing the issues and not the beer. I don't know, still trying to figure it out.

I'm only 33 and I've noticed over the last few years I get the beer sh*ts more and more. Guess it's time to cut back some? But that's boring... maybe take some Imodium the next morning when drinking this beer.

Beersk,

It's weird, Sunday I drank all day. Not heavy drinking but keeping a buzz on most of the day. Woke up fine the next day and BM wasn't runny. Last night had 3 beers, 2 SAs and one homebrew-still nothing. Other nights ill drink 3 SAs and wake up to immediate runs. For me the concentration during a shorter amount of time I think is what gets me though 3 isnt a lot for my standards but i tend to drink them fast in about 1.5 hours then go to bed (takes a long time to get the kids to bed before I drink).

Beer upsets the bacterial balance of our gut. I use unpasteurized cider vinegar on my salads and eat my own home fermented pickles(2 of these = 50 probiotic tablets!) and it helps. When you drink 3 fast it raises the alcohol level enough to kill off some gut bacteria and let the bad ones go on a rampage for awhile until they recover. It also pulls water from your intestinal wall and into the digestive tract...

Eat better! Ferment your own veggies! Cukes from my garden going into the crock, I poured a brine over and waited 10 days. Moved them to quart jars and the fridge tonight to slow the ferment way down.

IMG_20160914_1746001821_zpsyjmedeke.jpg

Yes I ferment more than beer! Going to ferment a quart of carrots tomorrow to see how I like them. And I just filled a crock with cabbage for sauerkraut.

Have you checked your Blood Sugar Levels?
You may experience the $#it's when it is high.
My guess only....

Latest posts

Back