Spent $180 to save a batch of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blulight

Reaction score
Oh boy. So the story begins with brewing up a five gallon batch of Oktoberfest... about 6 months too late. Indeed, I was unable to brew my favorite style of beer until the month of September for various reasons, but I was looking at the upsides: it would be my 5th batch of beer after 4 relative successes, my favorite style of beer, my first lager, and I'd get to enjoy a batch when the style is typically not in stock at any of the stores anymore. It was also going to be the first beer I get to have my family try, as I'm quarantining extensively before heading to my hometown for the holidays. It was also going to be the first beer I wanted my friends who live back in my hometown to try, as I was going to deliver several bottles to for them to enjoy.

So the expectations were high, and again, this being my favorite style of beer, my personal expectations were also high. The brew day itself went very smoothly and I hit my OG of 1.056 - a little high for the style but that got me more excited. Into the fermenter it went for two weeks. Upon hitting the final gravity of 1.015, I transferred to secondary and began the lagering process. I slowly got it down to around 40f and held it there for about three and a half weeks. After that, I tasted it - it was delicious, smooth, malty, everything I love about Oktoberfests. I was stoked! I added my priming sugar, bottled the whole batch, and left them in cardboard boxes in my pantry.

After I waited my usual carbonation time of 4-5 days, I transferred all the bottles to my fridge to condition, and it was at that point that the critical error was made - for a 4-5 day carbonation period worked fine for my previous 4 batches, as I live in Texas and the temp in my pantry downstairs is usually around 78 or even 80 degrees 9 months out of the year. But since my downstairs area was significantly cooler this time around, with temps around 62-64f, I don't think the fermentation completed before I moved to the fridge like I thought it did.

Fast forward two or three weeks after putting the bottles in the fridge to condition. I pop one open, excitedly, and take a sip. Flat as hell. I was immediately filled with dread. Hopefully this isn't the whole batch, right? Just got unlucky with the first bottle, right? Tasted good though, and though I wouldn't do this with any other flat beer, I drank most of it. I nervously grab a second bottle out of the fridge. This would be the dealbreaker, I thought. If this one was flat too, I could safely assume the whole batch did not properly carbonate. I pop open the cap, and could barely hear any gas escaping. I took a sip. Flat.

So I've got about 50 bottles of really tasty but flat beer. No way my family or my friends would enjoy this beer at all. My trip home is less than a week away, so the idea of transferring all these bottles out of the fridge and back into room temp to sit and carbonate for 1 or 2 weeks was no longer an option. I looked online and saw more interesting techniques like heating up the bottles, shaking them all, wild stuff that felt too experimental to try. Eventually, I ended up biting the the bullet, and going with the only option of carbonating a beer last-minute like this I had - buying a darn keg and doing that whole thing.

So today I went out and bought a used corny. I never wanted a keg for homebrewing. I am quite content dealing with bottles. I figured if I ever got a keg, it would be for batch 10 or 15 or 20, definitely not anytime soon. But I also knew it was my only salvation in this strange circumstance, so I cleaned it out, sanitized it, watched a hundred YouTube videos on how the thing works and how to take it apart and whatnot. There was still the daunting question - how do I transfer beer out of 50 or so bottles and into the keg without A) contaminating the beer, or B) introducing all this oxygen. It would be awesome if I had solved these difficult problems in some cool or interesting way, but I ended up just dunking the head of the bottles in starsan, popping them open, and carefully pouring the beer into a funnel with a line that went into the side of the keg. Clean? Maybe. Oxygen-free? No way. But I figured since the beer would be drank within a week of getting home, and it wasn't very hoppy beer, I am cautiously optimistic that oxygen won't ruin the whole batch. Make it a bit worse, sure, but not ruin it completely. Fingers crossed.

So, after meticulously funneling 50 bottles of beer into my keg, I sealed it, set the PSI to 20, and stuck the keg and the C02 bottle into the minifridge and turned the temp down to 40f. I don't know how this story ends yet. I'm going to leave the keg at 20 PSI and check the carbonation of the beer at the 24hr mark, and again at the 36hr or 48hr mark if need be. There's still a 5 hour car ride to get through, and arriving home and getting the keg settled. But this has all been a crazy ride in my homebrew experience so far for me, and I hope the beer is decent at the end of it all. And hey, now I have this keg system. So even if this goes wrong and the beer sucks, maybe its not all bad :)

Why not? That would have saved you $180 and been the ideal solution.
The beer needs to be in action on Tuesday, and I think with how cold it still is even in the warmest part of my house, it would have taken more like 2 weeks to get the rest of the way there. Putting it beyond the holidays, which I need it for!

Well I hope I'm not the bearer of bad news but you very well may have oxidized your beer. You could have placed in a warm room and the bottles would have carbed . Ive never had bottl priming complete in 4 to 5 days. I hope it all works out in the end.

I would have bought a 25 dollar electric heater .

That’s an awesome story! So since you already have priming sugar in the beer I’d warm that keg up and try and get it to carb up a bit or at least get the yeast going and that will also help scavenge some of the o2 that was probably introduced. After a few days then hit it with 30 psi to bring it up to the level of carb you are looking for.

Well I hope I'm not the bearer of bad news but you very well may have oxidized your beer. You could have placed in a warm room and the bottles would have carbed . Ive never had bottl priming complete in 4 to 5 days. I hope it all works out in the end.

I would have bought a 25 dollar electric heater .

Now I'm starting to kick myself in the shin for not posting here asking for help. The heater thing didn't even cross my mind. I am looking at the bright side of owning a keg now, always seemed like such a neat thing, keeping your beer in shiny, pressurized vessel dedicated to your homebrew. Never thought my beer would be worth it but it's been coming out decent. Of course, hard to compare it to a lot of beers in the vibrant craft scene like here in Austin, I think this Oktoberfest deserved kegship (oxidation problems notwithstanding)

That’s an awesome story! So since you already have priming sugar in the beer I’d warm that keg up and try and get it to carb up a bit or at least get the yeast going and that will also help scavenge some of the o2 that was probably introduced. After a few days then hit it with 30 psi to bring it up to the level of carb you are looking for.

Didn't think of that either. I figured it would be best to purge all oxygen out as soon as possible, but since there is still some unfermented sugar in there, it probably would work. I may give this a shot!

Now I'm starting to kick myself in the shin for not posting here asking for help. The heater thing didn't even cross my mind. I am looking at the bright side of owning a keg now, always seemed like such a neat thing, keeping your beer in shiny, pressurized vessel dedicated to your homebrew. Never thought my beer would be worth it but it's been coming out decent. Of course, hard to compare it to a lot of beers in the vibrant craft scene like here in Austin, I think this Oktoberfest deserved kegship (oxidation problems notwithstanding)

Didn't think of that either. I figured it would be best to purge all oxygen out as soon as possible, but since there is still some unfermented sugar in there, it probably would work. I may give this a shot!

Its all good . Things happen . Thats how we learn and grow as a brewer . Yes , kegs are definitely nice to have . Bottling got old real quick . Vary rarely do I bottle since getting my keg set up.

Glad you can now enjoy your beer, but .... you still have that priming sugar in there.

I don't know how this story ends yet. I'm going to leave the keg at 20 PSI and check the carbonation of the beer at the 24hr mark, and again at the 36hr or 48hr mark if need be.
You can forget about checking after "XX hours". At that temperature and with the beer probably having lost a good portion of the fermentation CO2 in the bottle to keg transfer it's going to take at least a week, possibly even longer for the beer to carbonate noticeably.

Interesting story. I'm sure the beer is oxidized, you'll see if it's progressed too far by the time you drink it soon.

Make sure you don't overcarb. I'd rather set to the desired volumes and shake to fast carb then burst carb. Good luck, I've found I normally need a week or two to get a newly carbed keg tasting best.

Forgot to update y’all, but TLDR, the beer was okay after all - not nearly as good as the sample I tried right after lagering, but not an oxidized mess either. I attribute that to the fact that most of the five gallons were consumed just a few days after that hairy transfer out of the bottles. But I’ll update the timeline in detail below.

At about 25 PSI, the beer carbonated nicely after about 30 hours, so it was ready the night before the road trip. A quick taste revealed no oxidation flavor yet. There was a slight sweetness from the sugar that didn’t ferment yet I think, but it was fairly well-buried with the overall malt flavors. For the 5 hour car ride, I wrapped it in several blankets and we were off.

Upon arriving, I quickly transferred the keg to a fridge to cool down, and was surprised that the beer lost a bit of carbonation during the ride it seemed. I think the keg got a little warm. Also, finally, the beer began to taste slightly oxidized, but it was barely noticeable at that point. I had one more night to go before the big night so I cranked the PSI back to 25 and hoped the carbonation would go back to normal before then.

Then the big night finally came, the beer’s carbonation was adequate, and the oxidation was a little more noticeable, but again, it was pretty buried in the big ish malt character of the beer. Me and a few people ended up drinking nearly the whole batch. One of my friends stated he does not like dark beers, but this one he really liked for some reason. The flavor profile though really changed since tasting it out of the fermenter several weeks back. It was definitely not an Oktoberfest anymore, it tasted more like a dark lager with a fuller body. Not as crisp in the malt character anymore either but hey, it was drinkable at the very least. So yeah, I’d argue that, in this very specific circumstance, nearly all of the batch ended up getting drank and was thus “saved”. Didn’t have to dump anything - yet. Not sure the flavor would have held up any longer, and I have just a little bit left over in the keg I’ll be holding on to just to taste how the oxygen influences the flavor as the days go by. I imagine those cardboard flavors becoming overwhelming.

I ended up learning a whole bunch though. And yeah, definitely won’t be making the mistake of putting the bottles up in the fridge before they fully ferment in the glass again ( though I’ll likely be kegging my future batches anyway, so moot point for now (; )

Back