Warm yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_in_GA

Reaction score
I pulled a yeast jar out of the fridge yesterday to get a starter going, but I won't get to it until today. It will be about 24 hours since taking it out before pitching it. Is the yeast still okay, or do I need a new jar? Thanks. It's my first time using harvested yeast.

yeast are not like milk. you can leave them out all night and not hurt them. all they do is wake up.

I just did the exact same thing. Took my washed yeasties out of the fridge. They sat on the counter for 24 hours. I cooked up 2 cups of DME with 1 gallon of water, and boiled it for 10 minutes. I then dropped in four frozen water bottles, and set the pot outside (covered of course). I brought it in a couple hours later, poured 1 quart in each of two half gallon jugs, and the last half gallon of starter wort into a gallon jug. I pitched the yeast into each of the half gallon jugs, and put an air lock on them. This morning there was alot more yeast in the bottom, but no real bubbling activity. I really wasn't expecting much only after about 6 hours, but the increasedtrub layer was good to see. I hope to see good activity tonight.

Latest posts

Back