Warm porter fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
I'm wanting to do a porter soon with ambient temperature being a bit higher than I'd like it to be (low 70s). The yeasts I have on hand are nottingham, S-04, and BRY-97.

While it is not ideal conditions, you can use those yeasts in the low 70s. The most important thing is to prevent the fermenter temperature from going higher.

You can do this by putting the fermenter in a water bath. You could put the fermenter in a bath full of water, but a more practical solution is to buy a big plastic container that you can sit the fermenter in, and then fill with at least 5 gallons of cold water. The water acts as a heat sink preventing the internal fermentation temperature from rising more than a degree or so. This will prevent the creation of fusel alcohols, and minimize unwanted yeast flavors.

While it is not ideal conditions, you can use those yeasts in the low 70s. The most important thing is to prevent the fermenter temperature from going higher.

You can do this by putting the fermenter in a water bath. You could put the fermenter in a bath full of water, but a more practical solution is to buy a big plastic container that you can sit the fermenter in, and then fill with at least 5 gallons of cold water. The water acts as a heat sink preventing the internal fermentation temperature from rising more than a degree or so. This will prevent the creation of fusel alcohols, and minimize unwanted yeast flavors.
Good idea, but unfortunately living in an old school bus excludes that as an option. I just don't have the room.

Back