Warm 'lager' conditioning after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm working on plans to make my first official lager. Right now i'm using an igloo cooler for cold fermenting. it works well can keep a cold temp pretty easily by switching out cold water bottles so i'm not worried about keeping a low lager temp for a few weeks. I am more concerned with tying up my cooler for several months after it's done fermenting and not being able to use it for other beers. is it possible to allow the beer to lager or condition at ambient temperature? possibly after cold crashing for a week? my basement is typically 55-60 degrees during the winter but can't guarantee it'll stay that cold long enough.

do you keg? you can lager in the keg if so.
either way, ferment low 50's til its about done, raise to 65+- for a diacetyl rest/finish out. then bring the temps back down and cold crash it in your cooler setup for a few weeks, as cold as you can keep it. then package and let it lager in your basement or fridge.
a week cold crash will be fine if you're in a hurry and want to use your setup for another beer, especially if you are kegging.
my last lager was a vienna lager, I want to say it was in the fermenter for about 5 weeks before i kegged it. then let it condition/lager for a few weeks and it was great. smoothed a bit over time but there wasnt a dramatic enough difference from the first and last pint to wait months on end to drink it.

The lager does have to get cold eventually. So if you can't cold condition it in bulk (carboy or keg), then you will have to do so in bottles AFTER carbing.

Before doing that, you'll want the beer to drop as clear as possible. I'd condition it in the warmer area (as cold as possible) for up to 2 weeks, then prime/bottle it. Store the bottles in a warmer area to carb up for a full 3 weeks. When this period has elapsed, place one in the fridge for a solid 24 hours then open and taste it. If the carbonation is okay, then refrigerate them all and treat that as the beginning of your true lagering period. Otherwise, wait another week and try again.

This is a compromise situation but it should still work.

I have exactly one lager under my belt, but it came out great and took a 2nd place in local competition. I "cold fermented" the raised temp to finish off. Then I primed, and bottled. After 3 weeks in bottles at 70* I began to lager at 32*. Still have some there after 9 months.

thanks for the input. since the cool period seems crucial, i'm thinking i'll either wait or just buy another igloo cooler to lager in.

Latest posts

Back