Ward Labs report and questions - Appleton, WI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolharry

Reaction score
I just got my results back from Ward Labs. I haven't seen my local report up here so I thought I should share for any other curious brewers in the area (I think someone has a Google map or something with reports somewhere too, does anyone have a link?). I've got a few questions also for the water guru's out there. Here's the report:

pH 8.3
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 159
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.26
Cations / Anions, me/L 2.5 / 2.5
ppm
Sodium, Na 12
Potassium, K 4
Calcium, Ca 29
Magnesium, Mg 5
Total Hardness, CaCO3 93
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.2 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 11
Chloride, Cl 21
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 71
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 60
Total Phosphorus, P 0.21
Total Iron, Fe 0.03 "<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit
I also confirmed with the city that they do use chloramine in our water.

How does my water look? I sent in the sample with no filter installed, but I usually draw my brewing water through one of those charcoal camping filter/hose combos. Am I correct in my understanding that the filter won't have a large impact on these numbers? And are there any styles that stand out as well or poorly suited for my water?

That water looks pretty good and the alkalinity is manageable with some acid (lactic or phosphoric). I would follow AJ's Primer instructions or utilize a spreadsheet like Bru'n Water to perhaps build to your preferred styles.

The activated carbon filter won't affect the ion concentrations, but it will require a fairly slow flow to ensure the removal of chlorine. Use of a campden tablet will ensure any residual chlorine is removed before you begin mashing, and the remains sulfides will degrade in the mash and boil.

Would the filter even be necessary with this water? I've never run it slow enough I'm sure and I still use campden tablets to ensure all the chloramine is removed. It's getting to be time to replace the filter and if I can eliminate something that's not really a benefit and save a few bucks I'd be cool with that.

Would the filter even be necessary with this water? I've never run it slow enough I'm sure and I still use campden tablets to ensure all the chloramine is removed. It's getting to be time to replace the filter and if I can eliminate something that's not really a benefit and save a few bucks I'd be cool with that.

If you have sediment or things like that, it is helpful. It will remove chlorine. Good filters can remove things like mercury and some lead if you have those things. If you don't, well, no. It doesn't really do anything.

I've never noticed much sediment and from what I recall of the most recent city water report, were pretty clean. I guess I'll try a few brews without it and see how it goes.
Thanks or the help. Time to go mess around with bru'n water!

Back