Want to take bets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funky/Vinegar or Drinkable beer?

• Funky/Vinegar

• Good Beer

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yourrealdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Found a singular fruit fly in my yeast starter about 30 seconds before I was going to pitch my yeast. It was alive and flying around so I took the foil off and let it out.

I never saw a fruit fly in the starter while it was on the stir plate, nor in the fridge today while I was letting the yeast settle out. I figure it got in while the yeast was sitting out today during the brewing process to warm back up.

So my guess the fly was in there at the longest for about 6 hours,but I could be wrong.

I pitched the yeast cause the beer was made and I said F it.

So bets on wether this beer turns into something funky/vinegar or it comes out ok

I'm sure it'll be perfectly fine. Though, I do wonder what that fly may have touched before entering your starter... *shudders. The yeast should be able to take care of it.

Keep an eye on it and wait and see. IIRC fruit flies often carry acetobacter, and acetobacter requires oxygen to get really nasty, so as long as you're careful with not oxidizing, it'd probably be ok regardless.

Back