Want to make some sour beer? Join my wine-barrel project in the Portland area.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks. Took a sample today. 1.002, cloudy but less so than pitch. Bright golden color. Aroma was on profile. No real funk, acidity. Its somewhere around 3.8-4 pH I believe, my strips aren't terribly accurate. Slightly tart but not anywhere close yet obviously. I had just a sip and it was midly funky with a bit of bitterness and hint of spicyness. So far so good IMO. we need angel share asap, summer hit hard and its drying out at the top.

IMG_20130824_124330.jpg

I have 5 gallons of angel share ready and can bring by tomorrow- I just replied to your PM as well.

Jerry

Thanks for dropping off the angel share ibrewaletx. We are topped off with extra to get us through the winter.

Thanks for dropping off the angel share ibrewaletx. We are topped off with extra to get us through the winter.

No problem, enjoyed hearing about the pitch day that I missed (my share was there ahead of time, I was out of town) and tasting a sample. I agree, slight bit of funk and a little bitterness- very tasty already. Glad there was enough angel share to get us through the winter.

Are we still planning to get together for a tasting?

Up to you all to decide. The beer is cleaner now but after just two months really doesn't have much of a lambic profile. It's probably going to go into hibernation once the cooler weather comes along and I wouldn't expect anything major happening until next May-June when temps get hot again and the bugs wake up and start working again. I'd say a June 2014 tasting would be more beneficial but if anyone wants to stop by and taste, just send me a PM and we can schedule something. Bring starsan!

Speaking of the lambic profile, I found this chart today: lambic evolution

I realize the post is labeled "Spontaneous" fermentation (which we did not do)... do we expect the timeline to be about the same? If so, let's at least taste at 6 months and at 10 months; that seems to be the times the profile is rapidly changing.

I realize the post is labeled "Spontaneous" fermentation (which we did not do)... do we expect the timeline to be about the same? If so, let's at least taste at 6 months and at 10 months; that seems to be the times the profile is rapidly changing.

That appears to be the same chart that can be found in the Wild Brews by Jack Sparrow. It's hard to decipher because of where we started the brew. But I agree we should wait at least 6 months. We can plan on January 2014 and May/June 2014 for tastings.

Should be the same, we have the same bugs in there. 6 and 10 work for me if it works for everyone else.

Hey guys!

Brewvana has been really great to me this year! We did a fundraiser this fall, and have raised enough to wrap both buses in full graphic detail so we will stand out and be icons of the craft beer experience in the Northwest!

If you haven't been on the bus and wanna hang on one of my tours, I have plenty of spots open for this Friday, might be a nice way to show friends and family visiting for the holidays our beer scene! DRINKING ALLOWED ON THE BUS, bring a sixer along for the ride or grab a growler fill at one of the stops!

We will be going to Buckman Botanical at Green Dragon chatting with Head Brewer Danny Conners over some of his low-no hop beers. Laurelwood for some shared appetizers, beer in the pub, brewer meet and tour through their facility malt room, bright tanks. Widmer for beer in the cathedral room and brief Widmer chat. Upright for a final beer (12 oz pour), brewing/beer city trivia, and a couple other surprises.

It's our standard Friday Behind the Scenes Tour. The price per person is $75. Includes about three to four, four to six ounce pours at each facility, as time allows. Shared food at one stop to take the edge off. Pretzel necklace, beer journal, brewvana pen. Lots of info, Beer 101 (for the newbs in the party), a raucous time on the bus. Pick up and drop off at either Riverplace hotel on the West side or Double Tree on the East.

Thanks brewers! Contact me here if you want to do a public or private tour at any time. www.experiencebrewvana.com

Counting down til January!

Unfortunately, no. I'm a parent of two very young children and have found my free time dwindle.

Sweet deal! Running a thursday and sunday tour this week. Www.experiencebrewvana.com

In other brewing news, sour news particularly, Tart of Darkness was on tap and in bottles at Bailey's on Friday, but who knows they may have ran out by now. Had a pour it was 5$ for a 4 ounce, ouuch, but tasty also picked up a bottle.

Hey I just happened upon this thread, I was in the area last August and took a bus tour with y'all and it was awesome. I believe Ashley was our guide, and shes cool. Awesome to hear y'all are doing well and will be around for whenever I happen back that way! Cheers

Glad things are going well! Our barrel is now nearing it's 6 month birthday! It's been cold, so I'm sure most of the bugs are sleeping waiting for summer to come. Really curious to see what it tastes like

I had to clean the airlock out yesterday on the 6 month mark and got a pull of the brew. It's a crystal clear straw-gold, covered with some lacto and pedio. Fairly well soured at this point. Tastes good. I think it needs another summer but we could consider doing something with it as soon as October 2014 IMO. I've got the garage insulated and the barrel as well, but it's cold enough to let everything go dormant. Not going to harm anything, but it needs a warm season to finish up and sour a bit more.

I had to clean the airlock out yesterday on the 6 month mark and got a pull of the brew. It's a crystal clear straw-gold, covered with some lacto and pedio. Fairly well soured at this point. Tastes good. I think it needs another summer but we could consider doing something with it as soon as October 2014 IMO. I've got the garage insulated and the barrel as well, but it's cold enough to let everything go dormant. Not going to harm anything, but it needs a warm season to finish up and sour a bit more.

Sounds good. Can't wait to find out how it turns out. I started another the following weekend with the bit of yeastcake I left in one of my carboys and its starting to get pretty sour now.

I'm curious, how many of you are still active here? It seems like everyone is gone, even though we planned to meet up soon to try it.

Starting to warm up in the garage and hopefully the bugs are slowly waking up again. Whenever we do the meetup I'll need someone to bring sanitizer so we can sample. I still have a wine thief here somewhere.

I also have someone's plastic ferment bucket and lid still too.

What are everyone's thoughts of meeting up on the 1 year anniversary of the pitch? I think that is the last week in June.

Also, if no one wants to take the barrel after we are done, I think I found a home for it.

Well guys, I unfortunately had to move back to Houston for work, so my ~10 gallons will be donated to you guys.
I'll still be going to Portland once a year or so, but there is no way I can bottle/ship gallons back.
It is a big win for you guys getting some more of what should be Great sour beer!
I may be back in June and hope I can at least time it for a tasting!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Last week of June is great! I'd like to take over handling the barrel and continue with another project if there's still interest!

Brewcraft bucket is mine. Still haven't met any of ya'll, I wasn't there for the pitch day or any tastings.

Brewvana news update, we just celebrated our 3 year anniversary. If you want to hop on the bus my discount code is matthew_r4 or call the office and let them know we're friends.

Curious, is there interest here in filling the barrel again this summer?

If you're around SE today stop by the Hawthorne liquor on Hawth n 11th from 3 to 6 I'm giving a free tasting of the distillery I work for, Vinn Distillery. We're part of Distillery Row and our tasting room is on SE Salmon and 9th.

I got my hands on some star san from a friend to check on two other carboys I found in my closet. Since I had everything out I checked the barrel. We're at just a hair over 5 brix now, so somewhere around 1.01-1.02. I would guess we've got a fair amount of Lacto in there, the sample I pulled had a bunch of broken up white particles in it. Doesn't pedio stick together better and the lacto breaks up like that? It could be Brett too I guess, but I can't really see into the barrel to notice.

Taste wise the beer has cleaned up remarkably over the winter. It tastes completely different from the last time I had it. It's clean now with no bitterness and a nice hint of the wood. It's not extremely sour though.

So excited to try!

If it's cool with everyone... We can move the barrel to my buddy's house.

Also, forgot to mention... recently my friend Damian and his podcast became national syndicated, he also runs the Brew Happy TV show on public access....

Tune in to all things Brew Happy here.... http://www.thebrewhappyshow.com/

I'm the homebrew guru guy on the show!

Back