Want to brew a REAL Aussie beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

Reaction score
So it's been a while since I've been to the site!! Hope all has been well with my fellow brewers.

I'm just throwing up this post real quick before work, so I haven't researched any Australian beers recipes.

Also if any of you mention Fosters....so help me God......:D

I want to brew an authentic Australian beer. Preferable a pale ale but I'm open to recipe suggestions.

Thanks a head of time!

Cheers,

The latest issue of BYO magazine is all about Australian Brewing...and has recipes for several Australian beers...None of them Fosters, btw. :D

Does it cover Australian wheat beers (e.g. Redback)?

My GF is Aussie and that's one of her favorites, I'd love to be able to brew it up.b

Does it cover Australian wheat beers (e.g. Redback)?

My GF is Aussie and that's one of her favorites, I'd love to be able to brew it up.b

There's an Aussie's interpretation of a Bavarian Weizen

6 gallon AG

5# 8 Ounces Joe White Wheat Malt
4# 6.5 ounces Pilsner
1# 1.6 oz vienna
4.3 AAU MT hood @ 60 (1.2oz 3.7aa)
WPL300 Yeast.

Mash at 153 for 60 minutes, recirculate 3 quarts of wort at 30 minutes to even out mash temp.

Sparge to get 8.7 gallons preboil

9 oz corn sugar for priming...

But if you are interested. you might want to consider the Tropical Flour Wit they talk about all the time on Craftbrewer radio...That one has orange and corriander, if that's what she's thinking about...

Here's one version of it. 021 - Witbier (Tropical Flower Wit)

In at least one of the episodes Graham Sanders goes into detail about his process of using regular wheat flour in it...

CraftBrewer Radio

The thing is they talk about it alot through the years you you have to dig through the podcast archives to find the actual detailed episode...

:mug:

I'm yet to perfect my Coopers Pale Ale all-grain recipe.

Does anyone have a good one?

There's a couple versions...and a good blurb on brewing it.

Care to enter into more detail on this? :)

also on craftbrewer radio, there is an episode where they go into extreme detail on brewing it, and give an interesting recipe, iirc.

Any idea which episode it might be? A search of their website yielded nothing.

Care to enter into more detail on this? :)

Any idea which episode it might be? A search of their website yielded nothing.

No time to do it now...leaving work soon...(of course you COULD buy a copy :D)

The podcast archives suck royally, I tried to find it for you as well, but there's no heading for it..I spent my entire Christmas Two weeks off listenning to all the episodes so details of when is a blur...

There's also the old on-air radio shows on here..But they don't have show headings at all...

Australian Craft Brewing

There's also a recipe archive on the site as well....

Scroll to the bottom....

I remember scrambling to find a piece of scrap paper and a pen to write down their recipe...I may have it at home home...

But I did find Graham Sander's Full transcript for his "legendary" (in his own mind) Tropical Flour wit.

Category: 12. BELGIAN and FRENCH ALE
Style: Belgian Wit
Recipe Name: Tropical Flower Wit (of sorts)
Brewer's Name: Graham Sanders
Brewing Method: Mash
Starting Gravity: 1.053
Ending Gravity: 1.008-1.010
Alcohol (w/w%): arround 5%
Bitterness (IBU): 17
Colour (SRM): Bloody Light
Specification Comments: This beer is made with plain white flour. You may instead used flaked or crushed wheat, in which case, up the amount by 10-20% to account for the yield difference. Do use lots of rice hulls to aid sparging.
Size of Batch: 38
Batch Size Unit: Liters
Extract Efficiency: 95%
Fermentables: 3.5 kg Pilsner Malt (Galaxy is good as it has a high glutenase level to aid in breaking down the wheat gums)
3.0 kg White Wheat Flour
0.3 kg Rolled Oats
Hop Additions: 45 grams low aplha Tettnanger 60 minutes boil
15 grams Goldings 10 minutes
15 grams goldings strike
Wort Preparation: A 2 and a half decoction is employed. water is treated with salts to 50ppm Ca. Sodium Bimet added to stop oxidisation. Mix is 2.5 litres per kg of grain.
1. 1 kg of crushed grain is heated to 50C. All the flour mixed in. Raised to 68C and held for 30 minutes.
2. this is added to rest of grain and water. Temperature levels out to arround mid 40C. Hold for 30 minutes
3. Lift a small proportion (25%). Raise to 70C hold 20 minutes, then boil for 5 minutes. add back to main mash.
4. Temp will level out mid 50C. hold for 30 minutes.
5. Lift 35-40% of mash, raise to 70C, hold for 30 minutes, and boil then for 5 minutes, add then back to main mash.
6. Temp levels out at 68C, hold for an hour, then sparge.
Boiling and Cooling: Boil for 60 minutes
Other additions
30 grams of dried orange peel, 20 minutes from end
50 grams of lightly crushed corrander, 10 minutes from end
30 grams of lightly crushed corrander, 30 grams of manderine peel, 0.5 teaspoon cummin, secret ingredient X at strike
Other Additions: A sour mash is dne 2 days before hand with 5% of the grian bill, this is added to the mash.
Yeast Information: Yeast culture from Hoegaarden, fermented at 18C.
Fermentation Details: Ferment at 18C for a week.
Skim beer of all scum for super clean taste.
Other Brewing Information: pH is more critical here than people realise. Mash pH should level out at 5.1 from the sour mash, and sparge water pH should also be a little low at arround 5.5.
Competition Results: Its fame speaks for itself. All who make this beer testify its worth the effort. Competitions won arround the world with this receipe.

Wow!! what a response!! You can always count on the community here at HB talk to come though. Yeah I've been reading the new issue which is one of the reasons I wanted to do a Aussie beer. Not to mention the fact that I'm a member of a worldwide gaming community Home | TOG - The Older Gamers.

I have a lot of Aussie mates and would be nice to sit down and drink an Aussie beer while playing some FPS with my mates from down under!!

Cheers and thanks again still have some deciding to do.

...Cheers and thanks again still have some deciding to do.

Maybe deciding on when to change that handle??? :D :D

newguy.jpg

I really enjoyed the Coopers Australian Pale Ale I made for my first batch.
Yeah yeah, it's an extract. I also modded it with a heavy? (2oz) cascade dry hop.
I've had wonderful compliments from several friends (some of which are not BMCers but even the BMCers loved it! OMG)
Unfortunately it's all but gone. I have 1 or 2 bottles left. I need to do another one of these! So far it's my fav. Coopers (of 5) although the others are all (but 1) decent to above average in my opinion.
Enjoy!

Back