Want to brew a brown sugar/honey light lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklordenron

Reaction score
I really want to do this, but am unsure of what ingredients to use. It's my second 5 gallon batch not using a kit and I really don't want to waste a lot of money on a failed project right now. I was thinking the body of a miller light, maybe a bit heavier, obviously more taste, and a noticable honey/brown sugar taste as well. Does anyone have an extract recipe (easy?) that I could use?

I don't have a recipe per se, but I could give you some ideas as to styles.

You could do an amber ale, english old ale, or perhaps an irish red ale. The low hop profile would lend itself to flavoring well. I'd probably do the English old ale, and balance some of the higher alcohol content with the sweetness of the brown sugar.

I have used up to 20% honey with good results. As for the brown sugar, I suggest the light brown sugar. It's a bit more delicate and less assertive than the dark brown sugar.

Light lagers can be up to 40% adjunct (some might be over.) The adjunct can be about anything, sugar, honey, rice syrup, and if you can mash cornstarch, corn or rice.

Something like this,
3 lbs Extra light DME
1 lb Honey
1 lb Sugar
.75 oz Hallertauer (or any low AA hop) at 60 minutes
You may be able to use a whole oz of hops with a AA of 3% or lower. Anything higher will put it out of balance for a light lager.

4 lbs Extra Light or Wheat LME
1.5-2 lbs Honey
1 fluid ounce of Molasses
1 oz German Noblish Hop (Hallertau, Tettnanger, Mt. Hood..) 60 min
Nottingham Yeast in the lower 60's

Personally I wouldn't use brown sugar/molasses with honey. The flavor of honey is delicate and pricey. But if I had to, it would be in very reserved amounts.

Latest posts

Back