New Product - Breiss American Honey Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwible

I drink, and I know things
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just ordered some of this and I’m thinking of using some in an upcoming English Barleywine

https://www.brewingwithbriess.com/blog/introducing-american-honey-malt/

AMERICAN HONEY MALT​

Smooth, clean, honey, sweet bread, biscuit
This is a traditional melanoidin style malt with a complex flavor. This custom‐crafted malt lends sweet bakery flavors that increase in complexity with higher usage rates. With lower inclusion, you can expect subtle honey and bread flavors. At higher usage, expect complex bakery flavors ranging from honey and graham cracker to biscuit and brown sugar.
It can be used in a wide variety of beer styles from light lagers & ales to malt-forward beers like dark lagers, red, and Scottish ales.

Usage Levels / Beer Styles
1-5%To add honey & sweet bread flavors in light beers
5-10%Contributes complex honey, graham cracker & malty flavors in ales & dark beers
10-20%Delivers prominent warming bakery-like flavors such as biscuit, honey & brown sugar

I'ved used Gambrinus Honey malt often but no more 2.5-3% lest the result become cloying.
If you've ever brewed with Gambrinus Honey malt a comparison would be a fine contribution :)

Cheers!

I'ved used Gambrinus Honey malt often but no more 2.5-3% lest the result become cloying.
If you've ever brewed with Gambrinus Honey malt a comparison would be a fine contribution :)

Cheers!
Maybe once a long time ago. Now I have to laugh because after I posted that, I noticed the “new product announcement” is dated 2020.

I got 2 lbs of Briess Honey Malt that I brought home from Homebrew Con 2022. I have not opened it yet. I have brewed a few batches with Gambrinus Honey Malt. I am a little curious how they compare. I am also curious how both would compare to a typical melanoidin malt.

I tend to think that Honey Malt is a good substitute for Crystal/Caramel malts, maybe with a little less sweetness and a little bit more of a bread crust note.

Why would Breiss tell you to use 10% or more? Well, besides the fact they’re selling malt. But I like the sound of graham cracker and malty flavors and thats what I’m looking for in my English Barleywine. I might try a little less than 10% in this going off their descriptions.

I have Simpsons Best Pale Ale malt. Some Victory and Breiss American Honey malt.

Hops are Magnum and Willamette.

WY1335 British Ale II, aiming for about 9.4%

Last edited:
So here's what I am thinking - No crystal because of the honey malt. I'm using extract to boost gravity because I brew with an Anvil Foundry 6.5 that only has an 8lb grain capacity. I plan the batch to get 3.5 gallons into the fermenter so that I actually get 3 gallons of finished beer at the end.

2022 019 - Hey Bulldog!
17-D English Barleywine

Size: 3.5 gal
Efficiency: 81.0%
Attenuation: 76.0%

Original Gravity: 1.094 (1.080 - 1.120)
Terminal Gravity: 1.023 (1.018 - 1.030)
Color: 13.38 SRM (8.0 - 22.0)
Alcohol: 9.52% (8.0% - 12.0%)
Bitterness: 51.2 (35.0 - 70.0) (.544 BU:GU)

Ingredients:
4 lb (37.8%) Simpsons Best Pale Ale Malt
2.75 lb (26.0%) Breiss Ashburne® Mild Malt
1 lb (9.4%) Breiss American Honey Malt
2.5 oz (1.5%) Acidulated Malt - (mash ph adjustment for my water)

2 lb (18.9%) Dry Light Extract - boiled 60 m
11 oz (6.5%) Corn Sugar - boiled 60 m

.5 oz Magnum (14.5%) - boiled 60 m
.19 oz Magnum (14.5%) - boiled 40 m
.55 oz Willamette (5.0%) - boiled 40 m
.75 oz Willamette (5.0%) - boiled 20 m

1.0 ea Wyeast 1335 British Ale II™ (10% Tolerance, I checked this time)

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 2.0.24

Bulldog.jpg

Last edited:
Back