wanna be

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a newer brewer and found that extract kits were good entry points because they try to make them fool-proof (and there is lots of info online to help with questions).
Also, starting with easy ciders/wines helped me get used to equipment and processes.

Welcome. Soon you will be an is.

Decide what kind of beer you want. Decide whether you want to do extract or all-grain. Then post questions.

A lot of people start with extract. I thought it was a waste of time. I knew I would eventually go all-grain, and it seemed pointless to develop extract habits and then forget them.

Thank you all. I brewed wine before. It was very easy as I didn't need any equipment. Just bottles. What scares me with the beer is contamination. I know how to be sterile as I'm a scientist but never tried it at home :)

I think I will also go with extract kits. I need to figure out what I need for brewing in my kitchen. Today I listened to the Beer Smith Podcast. John Palmer was on it and said he is writing a book on brewing in a kitchen. I was so excited but then he said the book will be out in late 2024. I don't think I'll wait that long :) So, I'm open to any suggestion for small batch brewing in a kitchen. I plan to make an equipment list and get advice here.

Thank you all. I brewed wine before. It was very easy as I didn't need any equipment. Just bottles. What scares me with the beer is contamination. I know how to be sterile as I'm a scientist but never tried it at home :)

I think I will also go with extract kits. I need to figure out what I need for brewing in my kitchen. Today I listened to the Beer Smith Podcast. John Palmer was on it and said he is writing a book on brewing in a kitchen. I was so excited but then he said the book will be out in late 2024. I don't think I'll wait that long :) So, I'm open to any suggestion for small batch brewing in a kitchen. I plan to make an equipment list and get advice here.
Welcome to the forum, this is a good place to learn, and different brewers use different methods, then swear by them😉, but being a scientist I think you’re already good at sorting out/researching what is best practice.
I also brew in my kitchen, mostly small batches and a 5 gallon a few time a year for homebrew club events. Extracts are the way most of us start, and you have the ability to move to all grain via the BIAB method (brew in a bag) later on without investing much more in equipment and keeping your stovetop busy.

Welcome to the forum, this is a good place to learn, and different brewers use different methods, then swear by them😉, but being a scientist I think you’re already good at sorting out/researching what is best practice.
I also brew in my kitchen, mostly small batches and a 5 gallon a few time a year for homebrew club events. Extracts are the way most of us start, and you have the ability to move to all grain via the BIAB method (brew in a bag) later on without investing much more in equipment and keeping your stovetop busy.
Thank you Hoppy2bmerry. Being a scientist is both a blessing and a curse :) Sometime I spend a lot of time in planning rather than jumping in t try :)

Back