Wake up yeasties!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomerwt

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Last week we posted about trouble getting a 5L batch of nettlebeer to ferment after 60 hours. See here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fixable-ditchable-201462/

We were advised to raise the temperature a bit to wake up the yeast, and it worked! After a few taste tests we are now in love with the nettle beer, so we brewed a 30L batch on sunday.

However, it's been over 48 hours again and no signs of fermentation. We thought 'Lets bring up the temp. again, just like with our first batch.' Because that did the trick perfectly. But then we remembered we didnt use the same wine superyeast as the last time. This time we used Brewferm lager yeast, which should be able to work properly at temps as low as 15C (our room temp is 17-18C).

What do you guys think we should do?

And also, as our recipe turned out so great, would it be a good idea to post the recipe and maybe some pictures and such about our nettle beer? Or are the people on this forum not really interested that much in not-real-beer brews? Opinions please!

I don't see anyhting about a gravity reading...WHen someone uses the term "Sign of fermentation" but doesn't give me a reading, then I shrug my shoulders. Because my experieince has been that THAT is the only true sign of fermentation. AND it helps us know what's wrong.

I don't see anyhting about a gravity reading...WHen someone uses the term "Sign of fermentation" but doesn't give me a reading, then I shrug my shoulders. Because my experieince has been that THAT is the only true sign of fermentation. AND it helps us know what's wrong.

Okay let me be clearer, the gravity was 1.040, and now the gravity is still 1.040.

I'd give it until 72 hours before you start even thinking about getting worried. What was the temp when you pitched your yeast?

I'd give it until 72 hours before you start even thinking about getting worried. What was the temp when you pitched your yeast?

We pitched it at 22C. You are right indeed, but we aren't really worried. It's just that it seems like history is repeating. And we're wondering if the solution is the same action as last time, even with an other yeast-type.

How much yeast did you pitch? I know it's a dry sachet, but can you tell me how big it is? You could probably get by with one 11.5G sachet, but if it was a 5G sachet you'd have wanted to pitch 2.5 of them. If you didn't then your lag time is very well warranted.

Latest posts

Back