Waiting more than 24 hours before adding yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhisperCloud

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I ordered wine yeast but there was a significant delay in delivery and will probably be here on Monday or Wednesday. My grapes have been sitting in the boxes since Thursday the 28th, hence I worry they will start spoiling despite being in a dark and cool place. Was wondering If I should start crushing them and add the Metabisulfite, making it sit for a few days while I wait for the yeast to be delivered. I would like to ask everyone for advice to tackle this situation

Welcome aboard! I haven't made wine, so I don't know. I do think that the treated juice might be more stable than the whole fruit. Maybe crush half and keep an eye on the other half for spoilage? Good luck!

Last year I had a wine that I got interrupted and had to delay adding yeast for a couple days. It caused a lot of issues with "flowers of wine". By being very careful when racking I was able to eliminate it.

Back