Wait a day to pitch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdwalter

Reaction score
Contemplating waiting till the next morning after brew day to pitch yeast. Anyone done this? Primary reason is to wait till the temp drops but also because I won't have time to complete a starter before brew day

Yes it's called the no chill method. It's an acceptable practice, just keep it sealed. Cheers

By waiting to pitch, you get more oxidation in your beer. Your brew won't be bad but it probably won't have the brightness that it could have if you pitch asap.

I think I'm going to give it a shot, but after I rack my wort into the carboy I will purge it with Co2. Any thoughts on this?

Probably not necessary. Wort needs O2 in order to provide the yeasts with proper respiration during the rapid cell division that occurs during initial fermentation. They'll burn through most of the O2 by three days into fermentation or so. Just seal it up once the boil dies down after flameout. If you have a gasketed lid for your boil pot, so much the better. Sanitize it and stick it over the pot.

By waiting to pitch, you get more oxidation in your beer. Your brew won't be bad but it probably won't have the brightness that it could have if you pitch asap.

Actually the oxidation is a good thing in this instance, since the yeast need it to get going. Oxidation is a bad thing after fermentation is complete.

Back