Vote for your Grain mill Gap setting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whats your gap settings for mash/sparge setup

• Total voters

WeHeavy

Reaction score
There's lots of threads on gap settings which it seems everyone's is different.
So for arguments sake I'm talking about a 2 roll mill and your doing a mash/sparge.

That's because we all have different brewing systems and methods. What works for one might not work well for another. You shouldn't determine what you use just by popular vote; you should tailor it to your own system. :)
And use the finest crush/smallest mill gap, that will allow you to lauter without getting stuck.

Brew on :mug:

I have no idea. Tried the mill, tightened the gap, tested again, tightened a bit more and set it tight. The 2 sides don't read the same on the scales but the roller is parallel. Have done two batches with the new mill with about the same results as from my Corona style mill.

i think i have mine at .028...so being that .030 was the finest i could pick....i fly sparge with a bazooka tube, never any trouble....

i run my mill fast though, might effect crush....

"Knurling Patterns Matter".
Even constrained to two-roller mills my CK knurling is different from my old BC and may be different from MM, etc.

In any case, for the record, I run my CK at .032 for barley, and have the old BC - now with the rollers reversed so fresh teeth :rock: - set at .025 for wheat. I drive it with my 20V DeWalt in its lowest gear setting, store it in the CK mill cabinet. I'd give it away but the BC will keep the CK fresh a lot longer :)

Cheers!

[edit] "Methods Matter"
I run a 3v2p herms on a Blichmann fb. A different setup - or BIAB especially - will likely desire a different crush (with BIAB basically flour ;))

.030 for everything except wheat and rye. That is .024 for that. I use a 3 roller MM driven with 1/2" single speed drill from the 60's. I use a router speed controller to slow it down. I use a cooler MT with a Wilser bag and stainless manifold. Bag allows easy clean up and never a stuck sparge.

I have a cereal killer and thought I was running at .036 or .034 but could not remember which so I checked and it is now .042. Not sure how it got that far off or for how long but I am glad I seen this thread and checked. Have not noticed a drop in efficiency or longer conversion lately.

I fly sparge in a 3V RIMS setup.

2 roller mill, 0.035 gap ,powered by cordless drill driver on low speed. i run it twice . no stuck sparges yet.
if it aint broke , dont fix it.

3vessel herms system here. .050% has too big a drop in efficiency, .040 and i've got a stuck mash/sparge. .045 is what works for me. 2roller cereal killer with cordless drill here as well

JSP Maltmill, .045 pre-set non-adjustable. I can count on a predetermined efficiency without variation, which is what I want. As long as the beer turns out according to plan, I'm a happy man. Was 80% on my old Rubbermaid cooler batch sparge system. Is now 70% on my electric Spike system. The number doesn't matter as much as the consistency. And with my old JSP "tank," I have consistency.

Had 68% conversion efficiency on my Mash & Boil with the very mild grain crush from my LHBS. Bought a cereal killer and set it up to 0.048. Got 100% conversion efficiency. Good enough for me. No reason to crush smaller for now. :)

70% on a #14 sieve. (~.040)

Cool.. someone else that actually knows what these are.
IMG_4699.JPG

Cheap Ferroday 2 roller from Amazon here. I don't set a specific gap; I run the grain through first at a fairly wide setting that loosens the hulls, then I run it again as tight as it will go (I MIAB). The numbers on the side of my mill are hard to read and I don't have one of those tools that help set the gap. I never have a stuck mash or sparge, and efficiency in the mid- to high 70s.

you mean you don't gap you're own spark plugs in the car? lol, i actually got my feeler gauge for my mill, but found it useful for my spark plugs too...;)
Shah, they come pre-gapped and I don't give a hoot as long as they do the job. And thanks for mentioning feeler gauge, that's the name of the tool I couldn't think of. Thanks 7% ABV lager!!

2 roller mill, 0.035 gap ,powered by cordless drill driver on low speed. i run it twice . no stuck sparges yet.
if it aint broke , dont fix it.
What do you do, then, if you have a drill that has only 2 speeds.....off and on? (I have an old corded Black and Decker)

What do you do, then, if you have a drill that has only 2 speeds.....off and on? (I have an old corded Black and Decker)
no, its a #1 torque setting which is what I use and a #2 speed setting. I dont use the handle that came with the mill , the chuck of the cordless fits on the shaft .

I use a cereal killer and I set the gap as small as it would go which I thought was .026, but I just checked it and it was .030. It tends to loosen up in spite of tightening to the max. I condition the malt prior to grinding and the hulls stay in tact and no stuck sparges.

Like was stated before. The knurl depth and pattern carry a huge influence on gap width. the smaller/finer the knurl the larger the gap should be set. I made my own mill. Set it At .050" for barley and .042 for rye,oats and wheat. Just need to experiment and see how the crush looks. Keep records of your settings and conversion rates to get a base line.

Back