Voss Kveik how pronounced is the orange flavour ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtom1991

Reaction score
I am a massive Blue Moon fan and have done a few of my own blue moon clone brews and have always used US-05 as its a neutral yeast.

But then i have read about Voss Kviek producing an orange flavour.

Could this yeast work in a Blue Moon style beer and compliment the orange peel additions or could/would there be other yeast flavours as well that wouldnt work ? the data sheet for the yeast seems to suggest it is a neutral yeast with a hint of orange/citrus

My experience with Lalbrew Voss is that beers of average OG, say 1.050, of which I brewed three, are relatively clean fermenting and have little to no orange flavor or aroma. But, I brewed a Biere de Garde at about 1.070 that was out of control orange. So, my experience informs me that high OG beers may need a bigger pitch of yeast, or some nutrient, or something that I didn't do with the biere de garde. Just one brewers experience. Hope it helps.

to get the orange out of Voss - you need to ferment 90F+. I was able to coax it out fermenting 95F for 4 days then ramped down. tasted like weak Orange Tang.

Ive gotten more general citrus flavor fermenting ambient in a very warm room in the house. Probabaly mid to high 80s. That was in a nice light session ipa. Was a good compliment.

I just used Voss for a Kona Big Wave clone. I fermented it in a chamber at 98 F with fermentation temps hitting 103 F (measured on the outside of the plastic bucket). Like @Coookies58, I wouldn't say "orange" was the result but instead say "citrus" which was goal (accentuate the tropical citrus of the hops).

I only used voss once so far in a cascade/centennial pale ale. I fermented between 95-100 the entire time, packaged after 8 days and it was a complete orange bomb. It wasn't the best flavor of orange, but it definitely grew on me. This summer, I plan on using it again a few times in lighter hopped ales and just slightly cooler.

I recently did a pale with voss. I pitched at 95F and wrapped in towels in a 68F-ish degree room. I didn't monitor the actual temperature during fermentation. I left it in the fermenter for almost 2 weeks then bottle conditioned for 2 weeks. I only got a hint of orange at best. I'm not sure if leaving it in the fermenter for that long had anything to do with it or not, but I definitely didn't get the orange bomb that many describe.

Yeast was Mangrove Jack M12 (lallemand voss clone).

If you're going to do a Blue Moon clone, why not use a Belgian yeast?

I could see Voss making a nice wheat/wit beer (with maybe some spices to fill in some flavors).

I have only made 3 beers with Omega Voss. In all 3 cases I pitched a very small amount and also used yeast nutrient. The first was an IPA similar to the Big Brew Day 2020 recipe and the second was a Pale Ale with Citra and Mosaic. Those were both fermented at 85F and had a pleasant sweet orange character that fit well with the beers.

I brewed the same Pale Ale again and fermented it at room temp (~72F) and it turned out quite similar to what I would expect from a yeast like WLP001/Chico. I did get some Sulphur in that one that eventually cleaned up. I probably should have pitched more yeast and/or given it more time to clean up (I moved it into the fridge around day 4).

My limited experience seems to match with what I read...temperature and pitch rate can be manipulated to drive the yeast character.

Last edited:
If you're going to do a Blue Moon clone, why not use a Belgian yeast?
Why not use a witbier yeast? I've had great luck with Imperial White Out. Actually all of their yeast is great. (Not to mention 200 billion cells per pouch.)

Its not actually a belgium style wheat so the Belgium yeast wouldnt work it dosnt call for the clove its a neutral yeast it needs so the orange and corriander additions are front and center. I adapted my recipe from the one on here as cmac62 says from the original brewer.

As I mentioned early in the thread, THIS WAS the recipe used to develop the beer that became known as Blue Moon Belgian White.
DO NOT use any "fancy" Belgian yeast strain. That is not Blue Moon.

Seems a little inconclusive on peoples experience of the orange character.

Still tempted to try it myself, might just split my next 20L batch into 2 and do 10L fermented with my tried and tested US-05 and another 10L with Voss and see what the outcome is.

At this moment, I'm drinking a beer I made from Voss last week. Orange is not very strong but I hit it hard with Rakau and Sabro hops (about 12 ounces). Tastes great but the heavy dose of hops is probably overpowering the taste from yeast. Fermented between 95-97.

I bet I've used Omega Voss more than a dozen times, trying to see what this yeast can do. All different styles from stout, neipa, pale ale, old ale, sour, amber, black ale, etc.. I use it when I want to get something cranked out quick. I under pitch but maybe not under enough to drive the orange. I always ferment in between 90 and 95. I've got a split gose batch right now each with half a pack of omega, and a 12 gallon batch of centennial and cascade pale with one pack. I have only ever noticed a hint of orange in the 9% old ale but I wouldn't really say orange just pleasant type of citrus note. It makes a difference in a great way in my amber rye( it is now the go to yeast for that beer) also but I still wouldn't say orange. All the other beers it seems like basically a fast version of (insert your favorite) clean yeast. How ever I can't really say on the gose , and CC Pale ale because they are not done yet.

Latest posts

Back