Voss kveik (dried lalemand) off flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velnerj

Simul justus et potator
Reaction score
This was my first time using a kveik yeast. I brewed a simple pale ale with magnum, Apollo and galaxy hops. Grain bill consisted of weyermann pale ale Malt 4.5kg, weyermann carapils (European)0.5kg, and light malted wheat 0.5kg.

I pitched a half of a packet of lalemand Voss (about 5-6 grams) at around 35C. I used a heat belt and temperature controller to hold the fermentation temperature to around 38C.

Fermentation was fast and vigorous as everyone else experienced. I pitched on a Sunday afternoon and by Tuesday morning terminal gravity had been reached (1.060 down to 1.011).

I kegged Tuesday evening and let it sit in the kegerator for around 12 days at about 5C. The pints are very cloudy and the beer tastes yeasty. I've choked down about 3 liters worth and it doesn't seem to be clearing up. The taste is starting to wear on me. It's like drinking the dregs at the bottom of your homebrew except a whole pint of it.

Any recommendation as to what went wrong or how to fix it?

TIA

I have a same problem. One week on fermenter at 30C (86F). Bottles I kept 3 weeks at same temperature. After one month on cellar The nasty yeast bite have'nt gone. The beer IS undrinkable. This happend to me twice! All My other brews with different yeasts are really good so it's not in my process.

My brews were 1.045 og. and I added Servomyces yeast nutrient to the wort.

I used the same yeast to make a Blue Moon clone. Although it tastes fine, it is definitely more cloudy than other batches I've made with US-05. I'm assuming it's the yeast in suspension. I don't typically fine my wheat beers, but I was thinking about dropping in a teaspoon of gelatin to see if it clears to what a "normal" Blue Moon would look like. In fairness, the Kveik yeast was done in 3 days and I kegged 5 days vs the typical 14 days, so that may have impacted clarity.

I'm also brewing a house ale this weekend with the slurry from the Blue Moon batch. I will be cold crashing and fining this batch and hope it is crystal clear.

Did you add any fining agents?

~HopSing.

How long did you leave it before kegging? I always leave it a week even though it ferments usually in a day. The fact it tastes yeasty makes me think you should of left it a bit longer. Only used farmhouse but it does floc very hard. Once bubbling stops i turn off the heat. I ferment at 35c.

I kegged after 3 days fermentation. So I guess it still needs time. Nevertheless, wouldn't a lot of the yeast in suspension fall to the bottom of the keg after sitting for so long? I understand that the first few pints will be cloudy but I'm nearing 5l consumed and there doesn't seem to be a difference yet. It's been three weeks + in the keg.

I got some feedback from David Heath. He said, that the problem on my case might be nutrients. My brews were low og. beers so the lack of nutrients made yeast to stall.

Back