Volume expansion with dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyPolock

Reaction score
I'm guessing that this is fairly known here but I couldn't find this on the search...maybe I'm not the best at HBT searching.

I dry hopped a batch of beer today, biermunchers outer limits IPA, and I filled up my better bottle up to the bottom of the neck of the bottle. My guess is that with the 1.5 oz. of hops beginning to absorb some of the beer it began to expand and the volume of the beer was coming right up to the stopper. I had to remove some of the beer twice to avoid a blow-out in my secondary.

I'm guessing that this is pretty normal but since this is my first time dry hopping I figure that I throw out my experience with it here in case anybody notices the same thing.

LHBS all but refused to start me out with a 5-gallon bottle. Sold me a package with a 6.5 gal carboy & I haven't even thought about using anything less. 2 batches (an IIPA and my current Belgian Strong) both had some seriously hefty fermentation that would have required a blowoff tube with anything smaller. :)

I think hes talking about secondary, a small amount of pellet hops certainly expands much more than you ever would think, just account for it next time, or use fresh hops.

I think hes talking about secondary, a small amount of pellet hops certainly expands much more than you ever would think, just account for it next time, or use fresh hops.

Yep it is the secondary, and my LHBS doesn't have that many whole/plug hops, so my only real iption outside of a few select hops is for pellets.

Back