Voltage control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coriba

Reaction score
I have a grain father T500 boiler with a copper dome and condenser. I’ve seen a lot of talk about slowing down the boil during a spirit run. There are no controls on the grainfather. Is there a common voltage controller that people use? if I reduce the voltage using a variac or some device, would I damage the boiler? What do other people do?

Coriba

Are you plugging into a common 120V outlet? Look online for a very simple variable speed fan controller with a dial if you want to manually control the temp on a heating element. Not familiar with your system but it works well with a common 1500A heat element

I got a 10Kw single phase motor controller from ebay for about $15. Works great.

So I’ve been reading about slowing down a still during spirit run. I read one opinion that you need to slow it down if you condenser can’t keep up with the steam. In my case I don’t see any lost steam from the condenser, so do I even need to slow it down?

For a spirit run, you want the take-off to come out at a very slow rate. Like at an interrupted stream or fast drips. What rate does it come out? If it's too fast then you want to slow it down.

I use an Auber EZboil and a Solid State Relay to control a 240V element. It can be used to control a 110V element too. The Auber EZboil works as both a PID controller as well as a variable power controller. It's basically a DIY controller you can build.

You could build a simple variable controller using a DIY kit from stilldragon.com too. That uses a Potentiomenter and a solid state relay.

For a spirit run, you want the take-off to come out at a very slow rate. Like at an interrupted stream or fast drips. What rate does it come out? If it's too fast then you want to slow it down.

I use an Auber EZboil and a Solid State Relay to control a 240V element. It can be used to control a 110V element too. The Auber EZboil works as both a PID controller as well as a variable power controller. It's basically a DIY controller you can build.

You could build a simple variable controller using a DIY kit from stilldragon.com too. That uses a Potentiomenter and a solid state relay.

Randy, I saw this and quickly ordered my EZboil, going to wire it in this weekend. Any chance you have a picture of your controller build or a circuit drawing?

Back