Glycol multi-vessel setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been mulling over a glycol loop design, and think i've got a decent understanding of the loop design, but wanted to ask a few clarifying questions.

Using this as some reference: Breweries Glycol loop hints - plumbing

1) Ideally the pump will only run when glycol is needed in a fermenter. I can 'easily' configure this using something like a BCS460/462 that if any of the temp probes are below their SV, turn on the glycol pump. That'll require some investment in temp probes and some relays but not a huge deal to me other than time. Is it worth power cycling the pump? or just leave it running 24x7 if anything is in a fermenter that needs chilled?

2) Schedule 40 isn't recommended for temps near freezing but i've seen several people using it, any reason not to just use braided hose?

3) targeting a First In Last Out design on the main loop, based on my research and seeing what big breweries do...this works fine, but doesn't the glycol take the path of least resistance and just bypass the coil(s) if any chiller loop paths are bypassed?

4) Could I potentially use a voltage sensor switch(es) (e.g. something commonly used to turn on a shop vac when a power tool calls for power) to power on the pump when something like an ITC-308 turns on the cooling pump?

Latest posts

Back