Vodka or gin martinis?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vodka or Gin?

• Vodka

• Gin

• Gross

Results are only viewable after voting.
Pretty much this.

Call me low-class, but to my mind, Beefeater makes the best martinis.

Oh, I prefer a twist rather than an olive. But this is just because I don't like olives.

I'm going to out-slum you, Palefire.

My favorite cocktail gin, after extensive testing, is Seagram's. It is one of the few non-artisan USA gins that still infuses the botanicals instead of adding flavoring extracts. Beefeater is my second choice.

Many other gins beat it in flavor, novelty, or complexity, but I save those for drinking neat or chilled. I don't mind brutally shaking Seagram's...it likes it a bit rough.

To your other point, I've started tossing a lemon sliver into the shaker with the gin, vermouth, and bitters. Wife likes it.

I just can't seem to get into any alcohol other than beer. I'm totally fine with that though. More beer for me :rockin:

When I used to bartend, I met a guy who introduced me to the Dirty Bisexual, no not that kind. Martini half gin, half vodka, plenty of olive juice, vermouth and about 3 olives (garlic stuffed preferably). Don't drink them often. For me, gin just goes better with citrusy than savory (olives, pearl onions, pickles).

I'd like to try the lobstertini I saw on triple D. It comes with a cooked claw clamped on the edge of the chilled glass. New version of dirty. I like beefeater's with a splitch of Martini & rossi dry vermouth & an olive or 3. Stirred,of course. I don't like bruised gin. I remember when they came in clear bottles already mixed with 3 or 4 glasses worth in them years ago. I used to buy a couple of those for the weekend when we were young.

While shaken vodka, up, with a whiff of dry vermouth, and a twist, is a great drink. It is not a martini.

So Gin.

Why is it that every drink that comes in a martini glass is a martini? (key lime martini, chocolate martini, lemon drop martini,apple-tini, etc) Technically a martini is only made with gin and vermouth right? Not everything that goes in a collins glass is called a "whatever-collins". If I pour a black and tan into a cocktail glass (pretty much impossible?), would that make it a black and tini?

Why is it that every drink that comes in a martini glass is a martini? (key lime martini, chocolate martini, lemon drop martini,apple-tini, etc) Technically a martini is only made with gin and vermouth right? Not everything that goes in a collins glass is called a "whatever-collins". If I pour a black and tan into a cocktail glass (pretty much impossible?), would that make it a black and tini?

Rule number one. If you are in a bar with a cocktail menu like that, order a beer.

I'll take a nice Maker's Manhattan or Old Fashioned over any of that martini nonsense. Yup. I like bourbon. A lot...

I prefer vodka but don't mind Gin at all in the summer. Has to be Bombay Saphire if it's gin tho.

I'll take a nice Maker's Manhattan or Old Fashioned over any of that martini nonsense. Yup. I like bourbon. A lot...

Oooh manhattens. I have been drinking a lot of manhattens since the cold weather showed up. I'll switch back to vodka martinis if it ever gets hot again.

before kids and budgets it was always bombay sapphire, a drop of vermouth, and one olive. for a while there i really had the swmbo trained at making them just how i like them even though she doesn't drink gin.

I love a good gin martini, but I'll only order a martini dirty if I'm at home. Getting one at a bar is disgusting - those olive trays get pretty nasty after a few hours.

Oh, and whoever invented the martini glass deserves a swift kick to the shins. It's almost like they were trying to maximize the spillage/tilt ratio. Tilt a highball glass 45 degrees and you'll lose 0-50% of your drink. Do the same with a martini glass and you'll lose 100%.

Back