Vittle Vault Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger988

Reaction score
I know there are a few threads out there but didn't want to resurrect an old dead one.

I'm wondering how these would fair for long term sour aging? Being stack able would save a lot of room for stuff aging for a year or more. What do the sizes (30, 40, 50lb) translate to in terms of volume? Looking to end up with as little head room as possible for 5 or 10 g batches.

Thanks

Since they are plastic personally I'd say no longer than 4 weeks storage even though they are HDPE. IMO use glass or stainless for long term storage. I ferment in them and if they sit longer than 3 weeks I get yeast buildup on the sides which makes me think oxygen is creeping in and the yeast are trying to get at it. I could be wrong though. Also I've never tried better bottles, they claim to be good for medium term storage. But again if you're going for up to a year I wouldn't trust it. Just get some kegs and use those. Even if you don't have a full up kegging system yet they would be dual purpose eventually and minimize head space. Get a small cartridge CO2 dispenser to purge the head space of oxygen and you're golden.

Good luck.

Since they are plastic personally I'd say no longer than 4 weeks storage even though they are HDPE. IMO use glass or stainless for long term storage. I ferment in them and if they sit longer than 3 weeks I get yeast buildup on the sides which makes me think oxygen is creeping in and the yeast are trying to get at it. I could be wrong though. Also I've never tried better bottles, they claim to be good for medium term storage. But again if you're going for up to a year I wouldn't trust it. Just get some kegs and use those. Even if you don't have a full up kegging system yet they would be dual purpose eventually and minimize head space. Get a small cartridge CO2 dispenser to purge the head space of oxygen and you're golden.

Good luck.

I'm set up with kegs, only have two dedicated to "dirty" beers though. I currently age my sours for 12 months + in PET (glass scare the crap out of me. Maybe I'll just suck it up and start buying more kegs.

Any plastic is permeable to oxygen so if you're planning to store these beers for a year of more and don't want them oxidized, use glass or stainless steel. This is probably the only situation where I would recommend using a glass carboy and I'd still prefer that you used the stainless steel.

Back