Virgin Steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cool Hand

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm brewing an Irish Stout extract tonight and I was wondering if any of you had any advice or instruction above and beyond what was given in my directions. I need to steep 6oz of crystal 2 row barley grain as well as 4oz of roast barley grain, from what I've read the steeping temp needs to be between 150F and 160F, is that correct? My directions say to steep for 20-30 minutes, is that about right? Finally do I need to maintain that 150-160 temp for the entire steeping duration or just at the beginning? Many thanks and cheers.

Keeping the temperature stable isn't as important in steeping as it is in mashing. There is no starch conversion occurring with specialty grains like you are using (crystal & roasted malts). All that is occurring is extraction of the colors and flavors. If you steep them for 30 minutes at a temperature between 140˚-165˚F, you will be fine. It is important not to let the temperature get above 170˚F or you risk extracting excess tannins from the grain husks. Tannins=astringency=mouth puckering.

I'm assuming that you are using a grain bag. If not, make sure that you strain all the grains out before you bring to a boil. Good luck on your brew!

John

Back