Vinyl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was born in 78. It so happens that most of this collection happens to be around that time. It’s cool for me to think that when I was a baby people were recording these very albums. 😁

There was a time when I had a ton of albums. A lifetime's worth, essentially. When my wife and I moved to FL in 92, I sold the whole thing (many boxes full) for $10. All the classics were in there, use your imagination. I imagine that story is common among people my age.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago. I walked into one of my friends office - he owns a company and has a sweet office in the bldg. I was sitting in there listening to the most MIND BLOWING sound - it was Dave Brubeck band, Take Five playing. The dynamic range was incredible, the separation of instruments, the clear percussion of the drums, it was all beyond what I've heard in a long time. It was a record.

I bought my youngest son a record player for his birthday (he surprisingly loved it). I now occasionally surprise him with LPs delivered by Amazon (he's in medical school). I might surprise him with a tube amp this year. He's a massive Floyd fan, haha.

i'm trying to think of something comdiec.... but all i can think of is using a needle or snorting cocaine....?

but no, i don't have a record collection, i listen to music off youtube now, and apparently my video card is my HDMI surround sound sound card now.....now i'm wondering how good a vinyl record would sound over my 2 12" 1000 watt subs?

and that's a serious question for you audiophile vinyl people...if you have sub woofers how the cracks and pops and bass effect you sub woofers?

I love my vinyl. Mostly 1966-1982. Rock, jazz, classical.

I have a Sony PS-X75 and a Technics Sl-1400 MkII to play them. I was huge into stereo gear once I had a job.
Still have it all, almost all still working like new at about 40 years old.

I'll be honest, I kept roughly two milk crates worth of my peak album collection (which was ~500 LPs) and still have a working Thorens table with a higher-end Grado cartridge. But the last time I fired it up was to digitize my Firesign Theatre albums - which was a loooong time ago...

Cheers!

I had over 1200 LPs I had amassed in the '70s and '80s. Every payday I would buy one or two. Also had friends in the record business, so I acquired some promo copies. Got tired of moving them, so donated them to the local college radio station.

Then I started amassing CDs...

I just picked up cheap record player stereo combo at the Salvation Army for $15 and Sound of Silence for $2. Got it cleaned up and it sounds semi decent. I also finally got to play several Eagle albums I got several years ago at a garage sell. Now I am looking at getting a better turntable and a reason to build a record cabinet.

I've got almost 2,000 LP's and 45's. I just could never part with them even when CD's came into vogue.
A few years ago, I bought a nice Technica turntable with a USB port so I could start digitizing the albums in FLAC codec for my home music server. Amazon.com: Audio-Technica AT-LP120XUSB Direct-Drive Turntable (Analog & USB), Silver, Hi-Fidelity, Plays 33 -1/3, 45, and 78 RPM Records, Convert Vinyl to Digital, Anti-Skate Control, Variable Pitch Control: AUDIO-TECHNICA: Electronics

It's still nice to just put on an album while brewing and listen to the original vinyl.

Back