Vintners Best difficulties, anyone else??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmodic

Reaction score
Hi

I recently purchased two 1 gallon liquid fruit base concentrates from Vintner's Best (wanted a cheap and easy "utility" wine for the house). I was expecting these to be simple, and easy. However, even with following directions to a T, fermentation is ridiculously slow for primary. I started at OG of 1.080 (10%) and after about a week and a half I am at 1.055 - 1.060 gravity in each of the 2 5 gallon batches (blueberry and raspberry). I have made numerous wines from fruit and juices and lots of beer, and have never had a fermentation behave this way. I even pitched new yeast after 72 hours of "nothing".

Anyone else have issues with these? Anybody have any thoughts? I can say that every day or so I mix with drill mixer, and I get a crap load of bubbles rise up (about 6 inches or so). Weird...

If anybody has some wisdom here, that'd be great. Thanks. I attached a pic of what I bought.

Raspberry_128oz__73785.1450133872.1280.1280.jpg

stop mixing. I've found that can slow yeast down, at least temporarily....

I used Lalvin V1116, which is advertised to be a fast fermenter at a wide pH range and the juice stuff I used is "supposedly" adjusted perfect. I will check the pH, but I cannot find pH range for Lalvin 1116.

As far as the mixing, Lalvin 1116 requires a large amount of oxygen for synthesis of survival factors which is why I have been stirring daily. Plus, I am used to making wine from fresh fruit which requires punching the cap down daily. If anything I worry that I am not oxygenating enough.

So, I don't know... This is very weird and perplexing. If anyone else has any suggestions, I welcome them.

What temp is the must? If it is too cool, it will slow down. Have you tried to add any yeast nutrient such as fermaid K?

The temp has been at 72F. The store has replaced both of them. I have figured out the problem and would like to provide guidance to any others that would like to try this product which works extremely well: providing you ignore the directions on the package. There are two major issues that caused a dead fermentation here. Below are the two things that should be ignored/changed on the directions.
1. Do not airlock immediately as directions say. Cover with towel and let ferment for ~5 days, or until gravity is ~1.020. Then rack to 5 gal glass carboy and airlock. Then let ferment 1 month, rerack, and work as usual.
2. Although it is "not recommended", add yeast nutrient and energizer. For whatever reason, the yeast will not start in this substrate without a kick in the rump.

I have performed the above two modifications and am witnessing perfect fermentation. Each of the two 5 gallon batches has dropped 0.030 gravity points only 48 hours after yeast pitching. The first time I tried, 3 weeks caused 0.030 drops in gravity.....

With the aforementioned modifications, I recommend this product. It is cheap, easy, highly successful, and good fruit flavor without having to add any after stabilization.

Thanks for all the helpful dialogue here during diagnosis.

-DM

Back