Vintage Shop PET Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d40dave

Reaction score
I recently bought a Vintage Shop PET Carboy. The bottom of the carboy is cloudy and in some spots is brown. I kind of seems like it's almost sort of burnt. Is this normal. I also just bought a Vintage Shop FerMonster It's bottom is as clear as the sides so I there may be some sort of problem. I tried calling Vintage Ship but they don't respond.

I can't get a good photo. I'll try tomorrow in the daylight. This is the best I can do for now.

Attachments

• PC300141.JPG
    PC300141.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Probably some discoloration in the plastic. Clean and sanitize and it should be fine.

Don't use brushes on plastic fermenters, they may scratch them.

Long soaks with some Oxiclean and some warm (not hot!) water and intermittent shaking does wonders.
You could also drop a cotton washcloth in it and swirl, soak, swirl, soak, etc. That should remove whatever little bits are caked on. What doesn't come out with that is likely discoloration.

How often are you going to want to look at your beer through the bottom?

Or do you think it's something on the surface and not in the plastic?

Only when I'm cleaning them. I think it's burnt plastic. I have several better bottles and fermonsters with clear bottoms. I'm trying to determine if this is normal.

Here's another picture.

Attachments

• P1010145.JPG
    P1010145.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 30
Just be patient till everyone recovers from New Year's celebrations. Then ask Vintage Shop. Or if you bought it locally, ask them.

But if it's in the plastic, it wouldn't bother me. If it's something on the surface, then I'd have to wonder what it is and if that was a return that was resold.

Reading between the lines then this was new, bought from a shop called vintage shop?

Not my assumption that it was bought from a Vintage shop ( one selling old or vintage/ secondhand goods).

Just be patient till everyone recovers from New Year's celebrations. Then ask Vintage Shop. Or if you bought it locally, ask them.

But if it's in the plastic, it wouldn't bother me. If it's something on the surface, then I'd have to wonder what it is and if that was a return that was resold.
I bought it semi-locally. I brought it in and they were going to replace it but the replacement had the same problem. It's in the plastic and not on the surface. It not a big deal but I'd rather have a clear carboy and if the company actually makes them then that's what I'd rather have. Better Bottles have clear bottoms and sides. The Vintage Shop makes FerMonsters with clear bottoms, why would their carboy's bottoms not be the same? It's probably a bad batch. Yes, The Vintage Shop could be closed for the holidays.

Last edited:
Back