Vienna Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landoa

WheatBeer
Reaction score
Hello,

I have no base grains Pale Ale, Pilsner or Maris Otter and want to use up malts that I bought in April. I pieced together an ale with Vienna as the hero (of which I only have 1.3 kg).

I was inspired by these threads and came up with my own recipe based on ingredients in stock....
Vienna Malt Pale Ale
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/505511/vienna-pale-alehttps://medium.com/@beer_recipes/daily-home-brew-recipe-vienna-pale-ale-10485488cebd
Should I lower the Munich and increase another crystal or caramel malt? What do you think about the hops schedule? Could I just stick with Simcoe for bittering instead of Magnum?

1631883907738.png

Thanks for any tips!

Last edited:
Depending on the actual type of Vienna and Munich, you might be lacking sufficient enzymes to convert the malt. Vienna is usually self-converting, but does not have much power left to convert adjuncts, same goes for munich malt.

If I were you, i´d happily skip everything, except the munich and vienna. They both bring loads of flavour and do not need any additional crystal malts or adjuncts.

And yes, you can go all Simcoe on this one. :)

Last edited:
I make a nice Altbier with Vienna malt.

80% Vienna
10% crystal 10 or 20
10%crysyal 60 or 70
1oz saaz or hallertau @60
.5oz saaz or hallertau @10
.5oz saaz or hallertau @ flameout

Mash @155 for body.
Wyeast 1007 german ale
Ferment @room temp

Absolutely delicious.

Depending on the actual type of Vienna and Munich, you might be lacking sufficient enzymes to convert the malt. Vienna is usually self-converting, but does not have much power left to convert adjuncts, same goes for munich malt.

If I were you, i´d happily skip everything, except the munich and vienna. They both bring loads of flavour and do not need any additional crystal malts or adjuncts.

OK, I will give this a try -- 65% Vienna, 35% Munich ... 100% Simcoe. Thanks!!

I make a nice Altbier with Vienna malt.

80% Vienna
10% crystal 10 or 20
10%crysyal 60 or 70
1oz saaz or hallertau @60
.5oz saaz or hallertau @10
.5oz saaz or hallertau @ flameout

Mash @155 for body.
Wyeast 1007 german ale
Ferment @room temp

Absolutely delicious.

Cheers mate!

Just cracked one open and it is simply delicious. So simple, and so good!

Thanks again for the tip!

Back