Vienna Lager at ale temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weagle05

Reaction score
A colleague decided for his first attempt at home brewing he was going to do a Negra Modelo clone from AHS. The yeast is Wyeast Bohemian Lager 2124.

While I applaud his enthusiasm, it would have been nice if he had done some research first, he has no lagering equipment.

It's cooling off here somewhat, so he can probably keep it in the low 60's in his basement. Should he pitch the lager yeast or an ale yeast? Any other considerations?

I hope it works out well for him, so I can drink more of other people's homebrew. :mug:

A colleague decided for his first attempt at home brewing he was going to do a Negra Modelo clone from AHS. The yeast is Wyeast Bohemian Lager 2124.

While I applaud his enthusiasm, it would have been nice if he had done some research first, he has no lagering equipment.

It's cooling off here somewhat, so he can probably keep it in the low 60's in his basement. Should he pitch the lager yeast or an ale yeast? Any other considerations?

I hope it works out well for him, so I can drink more of other people's homebrew. :mug:

If he can keep it in the low 60s, I'd definitely recommend a neutral "clean" ale yeast, like dry nottingham. The lager yeast will give some fruity and sulfury notes at a warm temperature.

If he can keep it in the low 60s, I'd definitely recommend a neutral "clean" ale yeast, like dry nottingham. The lager yeast will give some fruity and sulfury notes at a warm temperature.

That's what I was thinking... Something about "Mexican Steam Beer" doesn't sound appealing.

Thanks.

Back