Vienna Chai Tea Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancavebrew

Reaction score
I'm a noobie this year to home brewing. I've made three beers using extract kits so far and everything is going pretty good.

I need your help in how to make this new idea. I want to make a vienna style lager with chai tea. But problem is it looks like vienna lagers are difficult to make with extract.

I shop at this place, here are the available kits:
http://www.americanbrewmaster.com/Beer-Kits?page=1

With that said, I could also build my own kit by piecing together each ingredient. What I am going for is a vienna lager sort of like Dos Equis Amber. It's a lighter beer just darker in color. It doesn't need to be over hopped or very full bodied. I want it to be a nice refreshing beer that has chai tea.

Couple questions:
-Can I cold ferment using a kit? If so, are the tolerances less or more forgiving in terms of temperature? I don't have access to a fridge so this would be fermenting outside this Winter in mild-ish Raleigh, NC.
-Should I go the extra step and get an aquarium pump to oxygenate?
-Am I being completely unrealistic with combining extract with lagers?

Thanks!

Hey all. Figured I would update this thread on what I did if anyone cares.

I got a box of chai tea and brewed about 4 liters of water. Used a typical american stout extract kit from local HBS. Also added about 1 lb of honey near end of the boil. Cooled down both the brewed tea and mash separately then added them together when the temperature was low enough. Into the fermenting bucket it went for like 4 weeks. Bottle conditioned for 3 weeks worked pretty well.

I'd say it wasn't a homerun out of the park but definitely a nice stout with some holiday-type spices. Nothing was overpowering, subtle flavors across the board. People think its pretty good.

Back