Vienna Centennial SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iagainsti

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing my first SMaSH brew in a week or so. I've been digging adding a decent portion of Vienna to my brews (~20%), so figure I'd try it out in a SMaSH. I also have 2 oz whole leaf Centennial hops that need to get used up. Here's what I've drawn up. Thoughts?

10 lbs Vienna Mashed @ 154 for 60 min

.5 oz Centennial @ 60
.75 oz Centennial @15
.75 oz Centennial @flame out

Nottingham Yeast

SMASH beers are awesome - I've done a really similar Centennial SMASH recipe with Munich, Maris Otter, Golden Promise, etc. Haven't tried it with Vienna yet, but I'm sure that'll be really good.

The only comment I'd make is that 154 seems a little high and the hops might get lost in the maltiness.

I mash all my SMaSh recipes at 156 it gives the beer more body, with the SMaSHs I have done I go for 20 - 25 IBUs

I have done a few different ones with Vienna I really like it as a malt

all the best

I'm looking to keep it on maltier side to accentuate the Vienna, so I think I'll keep the temp a little higher on this one and see how it goes.

I'm actually drinking a Vienna smash brew right now, although mine is with Northern Brewer. It's freakin' delicious! I will say though, 100% Vienna is a pretty dominating flavor -- great, but I couldn't even begin to tell you what hops are in here. I did 1 oz of hops total in a 2.5gal batch with 5.5lb Vienna and mashed at 152. Love it, but next time I do it I'll increase the hops so I can get some of their character as well.

Brewed a Vienna/Centennial SMaSH a while ago. Brilliant beer.

23L Batch
5.5kg of Vienna
Centennial @ 60, 20 and 5 fermented with US-05

Brewed a single malt, double hop beer in the weekend. All Vienna with Riwaka and Citra. Smelt amazing going in the fermenter!

I just did a centennial SMASH with two row. 11# pale, 0.5 oz at 45 min, 0.25 at 15 and 0.25 at 5 min, US05. Nice and light, low bitterness, definitely a session beer. I was thinking Vienna for my next smash.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back