Video of a day of brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turfguy1969

Reaction score
I just found this video on you tube. It shows a guy making an all grain brew. I would like suggestions on how to make his process better. His procedure looks pretty simple and well thought out to an AG newbie. It is about 10 minutes long to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno about better, but I only add water to the grain twice: once for mash and once for sparge. The rest of it looked pretty similar, except for the organic stuff.

1) Put a ball valve on that MLT to make draining it easier
2) He said his total mash time was > 2 hrs = overkill, even if his target mash temp was a little low
3) He let his batch sparge sit for 20 mins, also overkill
4) I cool and siphon without moving the kettle. I don't like carrying around boiling liquid! If possible, having everything stationary in a 3-tier system (or by using pumps) is really the way to go. You haven't seen an easy brew day until you've brewed on a 3-tier stand.
5) Sanitize EVERYTHING that comes in contact with the wort after the boil. I noticed he just rinsed off his hydrometer in the sink and stuck it in his fermenter!

I saw the hydrometer too! I wouldn't use unfiltered tap to rinse and add in the yeast bag either. WHAT'S with the plastic bag in the cooler?

pretty cool vid....however he really needs to invest in a wort chiller and some sort of siphon

Chimone said:
pretty cool vid....however he really needs to invest in a wort chiller and some sort of siphon
I totally agree! It doesn't really show how long it takes to cool to 70' with the ice bath. If I use a pre-chiller (warm ground water here) with my CFC, I can get 5.5 gal to 65' in less than 10 minutes. And one of my main reasons in building a 3-tier stand is so that I never again have to lift/pour sometimes scalding water or wort. That part of the process really bothered me.

olllllo said:
I think its a mesh grain bag.
I know some people still go this route because it's cheap and easy, but obviously a ss braid/manifold/false bottom might be a "better" way to go.

turfguy, is that really YOUR video and you're looking for feedback on YOUR setup and process?

Let me ask you a question - I've got this "friend" with a brewing obsession and... :D

NO SIR, I brew in my kitchen where it's nice and warm! (4 degrees this morning in BUFFALO) All NON organic..... Since i am looking for help, I thought this guy makes a nice starting point for the next level. He's going to end up a target, or hero, but that's what you get for going public!

Lil' Sparky said:
I know some people still go this route because it's cheap and easy, but obviously a ss braid/manifold/false bottom might be a "better" way to go.

Yep.

He probably stepped up from a mini-mash and that would explain the grain bag.
He could also learn alot by coming to this board.

It's important to remember that he put himself under the microscope to help others and I'm sure some of his processes evolved and more equipment was bought since he shot the video.

I don't think I've strung too many batchs together without changing something or buying a new toy.

Cudos to the guy for going to the trouble of filming and sharing.

I imagine if we all could spy on each others brew day, we'd have a lot of arm chair advice to offer.

I guess I hope that some nonbrewer out there saw the video and decided to take a stab at this thing called "homebrewing".

There is a beer revolution afoot. :rockin:

I like how he did a step infusion. Hes further along than I am. Ive never done a step infusion, allthough I'd like to for my Hefes (Just in case the Pastor came by and wanted one) but Im not sure I want to spend an afternoon "trying" to hit my mark, when I know I can with a single infusion.

I will eventually.

Kudos to this guy

plus, he adjusted his hop additions accordingly to the AA%. Instead of just throwing in the 1 oz and calling it good.

No joke. I've been throwing my videos out there knowing the critcisms would come. No problem with that but you definitely have to expect it. Brewing philosophies are like a$$holes, everyone has one and they think everyone else's stinks.

BOBBY Loved your videos. The more hints I get at my stage the better the beer will be! This Forum is a tremendous help. Do you get good even boils on your grill? I had thought I needed to invest in a turkey fryer or other boiling equipment.

I think this guy does a great job making the all-grain process simple for aspiring brewers. He also does a lot with only a little equipment. That helps encourage people to take up the hobby; if it looks too compllicated people get overwhelmed. This video seemed to be aimed at beginners, who are really the people that need such videos.

turfguy1969 said:
BOBBY Loved your videos. The more hints I get at my stage the better the beer will be! This Forum is a tremendous help. Do you get good even boils on your grill? I had thought I needed to invest in a turkey fryer or other boiling equipment.

I just lucked out with my grill. It lets me put the pot right down onto the solid brass burners. Most grills use thin steel shell burners which wouldn't take the weight. These burners are also about 13Kbtu each, and I straddle two. I think that was the last of my grill boils anyway, I just got the 23 jet nat gas burner for the keggle today. WOOOOT.

That was a cool video. Any video that shows brewing in it is cool by me. His method is his method and if it works for him then let it be. As someone else posted, the more you brew you wil find that your brewing process evolves. However, 6% IPA is too much for me. Not a session at all.

Looked good though.

- WW

Sure, all brewing videos are cool. I think the point of the thread was to identify some points in the video that could be improved on. AFAIK, this guy's not on this forum, so any comments were for the benefit of the original poster and others looking to establish/improve their process.

:mug:

turfguy1969 said:
So if anyone has MORE videos we could sure learn a lot from different processes of all grain.....please...:D

Great idea! Time to get the tripod out. I think I'll put up several.

1. Doughing in & Batch Sparging.
2. Adding hops without boiling over
3. Time advanced wort chilling
4. Straining wort, areating & pitching yeast.
5. Keg saniation and kegging.
6. Corny keg reconditioning
7. Yeast propagation
8. Apfelwein production

I would love to see your videos ED! So just so I know, if you put your grain into a bag like he did, I take it you do not need a manifold or false bottom? the bag just acts like one. Sure, your efficiency would probably not be as high as a good manifold, but I am just wondering for now! :D

EdWort said:
Great idea! Time to get the tripod out. I think I'll put up several.

1. Doughing in & Batch Sparging.
2. Adding hops without boiling over
3. Time advanced wort chilling
4. Straining wort, areating & pitching yeast.
5. Keg saniation and kegging.
6. Corny keg reconditioning
7. Yeast propagation
8. Apfelwein production

You take care of those Ed. I'll take care of the video covering...

Drinking...

Back