Victory Headwaters Clone???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis_W

Reaction score
Ok guys I'm wondering if anyone has a Victory Headwaters clone recipe. I've only had it a couple times but man did I love it! I've only been brewing about 11 months and have about 11 brews to my name so I'd have no clue how to break down the beer and come up with a recipe. I'm looking for an all-grain 5 gallon batch.
Thanks guys!

I'll bump this for you (subscribed). Absolutely loved that beer! It was supposed to be a year round beer from what I remember but instead it dropped off the map.

Would love a clone!! But I guess story was it has a specific water profile which is how it got its name.

I picked up a bottle of this at Total Wine over the weekend. I'll be trying it tonight and we'll see if I'm interested in a clone as well. So far my favorite pale ale has been He'Brew Genesis Dry-Hopped.

I'm generally not a huge fan of pale ales, but I had this on tap and it was outstanding. There's not much on Victory's site other than they use German malts, and lots of Citra...but a blog on their site said it wasn't a single hop brew. It has some nice body, not too bitter, but very flavorful and tasty and VERY notable hop flavor.

Any thoughts on the below recipe? I'm going to try is and see if I can get close, but thought I would look for some critique...

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70%

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (Weyerman 2 Row) (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
0.75 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.50 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.25 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.50 %
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.00 %] (15 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] (0 min) Hops
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.99 %
Bitterness: 44.9 IBU
Est Color: 8.3 SRM
Mash Temp: 151 F

I know it's late but I'm looking to convert a previous extract recipe that was based on this beer to all-grain. I'd swap the Simcoe for Centennial, and the schedule I used was this:

1/2oz Centennial - 60 min
1/2oz Centennial - 15 min
1oz Centennial - 5 min
1oz Citra - 5 min
1/4 oz Centennial - 1 min
1 oz Citra - 1 min

This beer turned out way better than I expected after about 6-8 weeks and actually very close to Headwaters PA (not as much aroma). For your grains, I'd probably drop the Munich and go with combo of C20 and C40 instead of the C60 - that's what I steeped with the DME-based recipe a while ago. I like the use of Honey malt though, and will probably include it when I get to converting this one to AG.

How did it go?

Back