Veterans sound off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sergeant (E-5) in the Marine Corps as well.
1141 - Electrician
2000-2008
Tour in Iraq in 2003
Waited on the border of Kuwait and Iraq for almost 3 weeks for the war to start. Amazing site to see the air-war portion start overhead and then a few days later go into country.

Just read this awesome quote from current Marine Corps Commandant General Amos:

“We need to remember that we’re all Marines first, whether we’re light green, dark green, pink green, or vagina green.”

Edit: After reviewing, I think this is a spoof article. Great quote, nonetheless.

Just read this awesome quote from current Marine Corps Commandant General Amos:

“We need to remember that we’re all Marines first, whether we’re light green, dark green, pink green, or vagina green.”

Edit: After reviewing, I think this is a spoof article. Great quote, nonetheless.

duffelblog is HILARIOUS, but yeah, a spoof site, like the Onion

Army 20 years ago. Went in as 62F <-crane operator. After boot and school I never got to touch a crane again lol. They used to just stick you wherever doing whatever. Did my 4 and got out.

Army from 98-06, 35F (now 25F). 4 Years at Ft. Bragg, A Co. 51st Sig BN (ABN) and then 4 more with PAANG, A Co. 28th Sig BN. The NG armory was in Westview just outside of Pittsburgh. Sometimes I miss it. :)

USN - CTI

Best time of my life, tho if I had to do it over I would have chosen a different job. Something more interesting. Sea-Bee or something.

US Army, Sgt., 19K (gunner), '06-'09

Ramadi, Iraq 06-07
Sadr City, Iraq 08-09

Major. US Army. 14A Duck Hunter. 16 years of service. Currently stationed in South Korea.

Thus, I brew my own.

82-86a s USN 4 yrs tailhook ASW. 7 yrs. tech rep.
Eldest son just got out as AE and youngest is going to Afghan as JarHead.

US Army Finance
1990 - 1993 Ft Bragg, 126th Finance Battalion, 18th Airborne Corps
1993 - 1996 Mannheim, Germany, 208th Finance Battalion, 266th Theater Finance Command

Navy '87-'97 AO1. NOLA, SoWey MA, Jax FL. CV-67 JFK, CVN-69 Eisenhower, CVN-71 Roosevelt, CVN-74 Stennis. Did a lot of time doing OPPE's and watching nuggets land.

I just spent Monday at a Military service for a 30 year vet in the Navy. He died at the right ol' age of 87 and was 1 hell of a man! He spent his retirement driving around every highway, byway and back country roads in the nation in a motorhome with my grandmother at his side. I guess he wanted to see as much of the country he spent so many years defending.

To all the men and women in the armed services, I tip my hat and raise my glass in your honor. Without you this country would be a much different place!

What a great thread!

Cheers
Jay

Passing 8 years active duty USAF Explosive Ordnance Disposal, currently deployed to Helmand Province Afghanistan

Thank You OP for starting this thread!

It is refreshing and humbling to hear of the selfless service of all of you! Thank God for your dedication!

'89-'02 USN. Nuclear Submarines.

God Bless.

US Army, 12 years and counting...

13B10 & 13M10 (FA, Cannon Crewmember & MLRS Crewmember): 2000-2002 AL ARNG

67T10 (Now called 15T): 2002-2005 Cp. Stanley, ROK; Ft. Campbell, KY

153D (Blackhawk pilot): 2005-Current: El Gora, Egypt; Ft. Drum, NY; COB Speicher, Iraq; FOB Shank, Afghanistan; USAG Humphreys, ROK...

"You will never have friends like the ones you had at war" --Whoever said it first

Navy '87-'97 AO1. NOLA, SoWey MA, Jax FL. CV-67 JFK, CVN-69 Eisenhower, CVN-71 Roosevelt, CVN-74 Stennis. Did a lot of time doing OPPE's and watching nuggets land.

were you on the Rosie during Desert Storm?

we were part of her BG. while stationed behind her, she was dumping trash & garbage when we noticed she had also dumped burn bags

we had to clean up after y'all

U.S. ARMY '87-'95. Desert shield/Storm with 24th Infantry Division. followed the family tradition. grandfather was in WWII and dad served in Vietnam.

GrogNerd said:
were you on the Rosie during Desert Storm?

we were part of her BG. while stationed behind her, she was dumping trash & garbage when we noticed she had also dumped burn bags

we had to clean up after y'all

Nah, wasn't me, never deployed. Saw all those ships a couple weeks at a time with HS-75, doing plane guard for short excursions between deployments.

Hooah! US Army MP CRMAT 1996-2004 SFC

Bosnia / Hungary / Kosovo / Korea / Germany / Iraq and everywhere in between (CONUS / OCONUS)… Best. Damn. Time…Ever. Second to none.

Thank you to all; past, present, and future for securing this great nation of ours and securing the freedom of others. Let’s take a moment for our brothers and sisters that made the ultimate sacrifice. You will be missed but never forgotten.

THIS We’ll Defend…..

-JM

USN 90-94
USS Harry W Hill DD986

Still wish I'd stayed in, I would have retired 3 years ago.

MaddBaggins said:
USN 90-94
USS Harry W Hill DD986

Still wish I'd stayed in, I would have retired 3 years ago.

I'm thinking about just cutting loose. I just don't think that the retirement is worth all the BS that goes along with being in the military.

EODstads said:
I'm thinking about just cutting loose. I just don't think that the retirement is worth all the BS that goes along with being in the military.

I look back at the crap I've done since I got out and realize that 20 in the Navy would have been cake. It really was the best job I ever had.

Back