Very special stout. Need help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subliminalurge

Reaction score
So I have this idea in my head. I want to have a brew day over Christmas with my brothers-in-law, and then bring it home and let it age out for most of the year, cutting off a few weeks to have it kegged, carbed, and ready to drink for the next Christmas.

I'm thinking an Imperial Stout, complete with oatmeal, lactose, and maybe even a hint of chocolate. (All three of us have been known to knock a few back every once in awhile, so the high gravity thing just feels appropriate..... And since this is going to be a winter event, a nice, heavy stout seems appropriate.)

I'm planning do drop a few bucks and buy a dedicated primary and a dedicated keg so that this one can age out properly.

Since the actual brew day will happen while I'm on the road, I need to keep this mostly extract or partial mash. I probably won't have my all grain equipment by then, and even if I did we won't have room in the vehicle to transport it that far once we have all our luggage in.

Any suggestions?

At the moment I'm thinking of starting with the "Imperial Stout" kit from Midwest, since I've always had great luck with their recipe kits, but I'd like to jazz it up a bit above and beyond. Not married to that plan, it's just my starting point.

Just throwing this out there. I'm open to any and all suggestions, ideas, etc...

I'd keep the lactose out. A beer of that gravity will be thick enough on its own without purposefully adding unfermentables. This is especially true when brewing extract and not being able to design a highly fermentable wort.

Buy a 5 gal. starter kit, use it to brew the beer and then give it to one of your brothers in law as a gift. Equipment problem solved!

If you wanted to make the recipe your own. I would recommend a partial mash with lots and lots of chocolate rye. It is seriously one of the most wonderful grains I have used. you have add loads and it really only imparts the beautiful cocoa flavor without the bitterness of regular chocolate malt. I recently made a chocolate rye imperial stout and it anything I wish I added more. that in part has to do with the mash, but in reality, I could have probably added more. Just something to think about...I really believe that it will be a big hit.

I'm going to throw you a curveball..

Brew a Belgian Dark Strong Ale. They age great and a year would be awesome.

OH.... sorry had to edit the post. I see you wanted to keep it partial mash. Sorry!

Yeah, unfortunately I need to. I may have my all grain gear by then, but even if I do there won't be space in the car to bring it along. Extract gear I can squeeze in.

That recipe looks interesting. Might have to give it a shot.

I got to thinking today...

Being the time of year it is I've been picking up some of the seasonal sampler packs from different micros every now and then. I really liked the pumpkin ale from Sam Adams (although I'm annoyed I can't find it in a 6 or 12 pack, have to buy the whole sampler to get 2 bottles of it.)

I've never had a spiced stout, but I think it could be done well with some season-appropriate spices.

Anyone ever tried that and had good (or bad) results?

Now that sounds good. Even if I don't do it for this event, I think I'll have to give one a shot.

I have one that has been aging for 6 months. Had one the other day and it just gets better and better.....I drank some of it young and it was good. Then have been trying one per month to see how it ages. Every month the flavor just gets better. Around Christmas time it should be excellent.

Have another one that has been in bottles just a month and it tastes good. I am going to let thisone age for at least 4 months before I even taste another one.

Latest posts

Back