Very Low Efficiency. Please Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the first time I did an iodine test on this batch. at 50 minutes all of the starches appeared to be converted.

The difference between this batch and the last that I had success with was 90 minutes last time and 60 this time. I don't understand how that could be a factor if the starches were converted in 60 minutes. It is a Pilsner base, but the crush is pretty fine.

If you run an iodine test on wort from the mash tun, it will only tell you if all of the starches in the liquid have been converted or not. It will not tell you if you have residual starch in the grain particles. For that you should take a sample of grains plus wort, grind the mix up in a mortar & pestle, and do an iodine test on that.

A simple way to determine if your conversion is complete is to measure the SG of the wort in the mash tun (after a good stir), and compare it to the maximum possible SG. For this you need accurate measurements of the strike water volume (room temp basis), and grain weight. From these plus the grain potentials, you can calculate the maximum possible SG in the mash tun. Your conversion efficiency is then:
(1 - Measured_SG) / (1 -Max_SG)​
Kai gives an approximate chart for determining max SG based on water to grain ratio here: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Understanding_Efficiency#Measuring_conversion_efficiency

My utilization was 66% (down from 72% on the last batch). I was expecting an increase in utilization with the finer crush. I'm doing BIAB and washing the grains in a gallon of 169 degree water after the initial mash. They soaked for about 15 minutes the second time.

Thoughts?

You need to be careful when comparing efficiencies batch to batch, as the accuracy of the efficiency calculations are only ± 4 - 5 percentage points, based on typical accuracies achieved in measuring water volumes, grain weight, grain potential, grain moisture content, and SG. Based on this, your two batches could have had the same efficiency (e.g. they both could actually have been 69%.)

Brew on :mug:

Back