Very little krausen...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
So, my cream ale i made on saturday started fermenting after 8 hours or so, and really bubbling like a madman.. but there was never much krausen.. now there are bubbles every 10 seconds or so, but still, the most krausen i got was about 1/4 of an inch..

Im not worried, just wanna know what was different this time..

Sorry can't help but a few brews ago I had this about 3 times in a row. The beers turned out pretty good. The last batch I brewed had a krausen as normal.

I'd be interested to know what happened. Didn't (knowingly) change anything in my process except for different recipes (but with yeasts I've used before with no problems)

I've no idea what causes the difference in krausen, but I've done three batches with S-04. Two had big ugly piles of krausen on the surface of the beer during fermenation, and one had nothing at all - so much so that I thought the yeast was dead.

Weird thing is, all batches turned out fine.

If I am not mistaken, it is the protein content of the beer that determines the krausen 'thickness' (and foam retention later). I assume since it was a cream ale there were adjuncts, maybe this took some of the protein out of the mix? Did you do a protein rest?

I'm not the OP but thought I'd just add my two cents...

The few beers I brewed that did this had similar grain bills to other batches, no adjuncts, and the head rentention was crap - but it is in all my beers.

Back