Very First Batch Need Advice Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

My wife bought me the beginner kit for my birthday, and used the Baron's Lager kit that came with everything. I wish I would have found this forum before I started because now I'm sure I've got some problems.

The thing is, I followed the directions, and it says for primary fermentation to seal the lid on the pail after adding the yeast, which I did. The problem is, there is no hole in the lid, it's actually a sealed system. To me it didn't seem right, because I was wondering where the gases created were going to go, but I re-checked the instructions and I never seen anything different. But I was quite bothered by it, and then started searching and realizing I probably did something wrong. Unfortunately, nobody else seems to be this much of a newb and put a sealed pail lid on with no air lock, so I don't know what to do to rectify the situation.

I do have a 6 gallon carboy with an airlock system that I can use but I don't know if it would be proper to transfer now.

I'm pretty sure if I leave it I will have a beer volcano soon, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

you definitely need an air lock.
i would take off the lid and drill a hole for your airlock, sanitize the lid and re-install with the airlock.

well, that's funny. You have two options. The easiest would be to sanitize the carboy, bung, and airlock and transfer it. another option is to take the lid, drill a hole and insert a grommet(on sale at lhbs) then put your bubbler in the hole.

Thanks for the quick responses, I was pretty sure it was going to turn out bad if I kept it sealed. Any idea on what size of hole saw to use to make a hole for the airlock?

You need to drill a hole in the lid and attach some sort or air lock or blow tube for now. The idea of transferring it is a good one too. Then you can deal with fixing that lid with an airlock for your next batch.

Thanks for the quick responses, I was pretty sure it was going to turn out bad if I kept it sealed. Any idea on what size of hole saw to use to make a hole for the airlock?

i just drilled a hole in my lids slightly smaller than the narrow end of the rubber bung on the air lock and jam it in. - don't remember the size off hand.

I think you may be able to just loosely lay your lid on top of your pail. I recall reading of people here who just used sanitized Plexiglas or something and lay that on top of their pail.

It's strange for a LHBS to sell a kit that contains a lid with no hole for an airlock. Did you say that you are making a lager?

It's strange for a LHBS to sell a kit that contains a lid with no hole for an airlock. Did you say that you are making a lager?

The carboy is the primary and the bucket might be for bottling? And yes, this sounds like it will be an ale instead of an actual lager.

I just saw this thread in the yeast forum that might help you. A guy was asking about using saran wrap or foil on his bucket (although for a different reason than you, but the mechanics are still the same). Seems people have done it before and had successful beers.

Hey all, first off, thanks to everybody for the help. My forum membership paid off just with this help.

I went down to the LHBS to buy a grommet, but she didn't have anything. Then she said that having a hole in the lid for an airlock is old fashioned, and that I should just leave the lid left on loosely. Needless to say, I'm not taking her advice. I will support her because it's a local business, but I think all my advice will be taken from these forums.

It does say it's a lager, but it's not like what most people on here are making, all I had was add a bag to some water an then add yeast.

Thanks for the links, I'm going to just keep checking everything out and reading as much as I can. Cheers!

Back