Very Fast Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClaudioCastello

Reaction score
Hello! First I want to apologize for my very limited english. I'm a brazilian homebrewer and this is the first time I post here.

Last weekend I bottled 2,6 gal of an English Barley Wine with 2,5oz of cane sugar. In anothers batchs it usually take 1 week for the complete carbonation. But in this last one, only after two days my beer is carbonated.

Yeast: T-58 (dry)
OG: 1.095
FG: 1.024
Primming: 2.5oz cane sugar/100mL of water boiled for 5 min.

Someone have any clue about this really fast carbonation? I'm a little worried about bottle explosions :drunk:

Thanks! And again, sorry for this awful english.

I'd be a little worried about bottle grenades myself.........not sure what the cause would be though........gusher infection maybe? After two days though.....man......You could vent and recap a couple bottles wait a week or so and compare just to see what is really going on. Aslo, keep the bottles in a safe place and cover them up with something like a big towel or crap blanket. This way, if you do get an explosion, it will be contained.

Just curious, why are you sampling bottles of barleywine after two days in the bottle?

Don't do anything.

You used the correct amount of priming sugar, even if you netted less than 2.6 gallons into the bottles. Some beers produce CO2 faster than others, and seeing that you're in Brazil I assume that your room temperature is a bit higher than mine. You should still wait 3 weeks to drink them to get them at their optimal flavor; however, a barleywine will continue to develop over time and you should probably give it longer than that, but that's another story.

Either way, just relax and wait a few weeks before you try another one. I can almost guarantee you that you won't have any problems.

I'd be a little worried about bottle grenades myself.........not sure what the cause would be though........gusher infection maybe? After two days though.....man......You could vent and recap a couple bottles wait a week or so and compare just to see what is really going on. Aslo, keep the bottles in a safe place and cover them up with something like a big towel or crap blanket. This way, if you do get an explosion, it will be contained.

Just curious, why are you sampling bottles of barleywine after two days in the bottle?

Thanks!!! The bottles are in a safe place and covered! By the way, i was not sampling. Here i dont have a manometer to see how the carbonation proceed and i use a PET bottle to see how fast the beer carbonate. And this was really fast...

Don't do anything.

You used the correct amount of priming sugar, even if you netted less than 2.6 gallons into the bottles. Some beers produce CO2 faster than others, and seeing that you're in Brazil I assume that your room temperature is a bit higher than mine. You should still wait 3 weeks to drink them to get them at their optimal flavor; however, a barleywine will continue to develop over time and you should probably give it longer than that, but that's another story.

Either way, just relax and wait a few weeks before you try another one. I can almost guarantee you that you won't have any problems.

In June, 23 we'll have a National Homebrew Contest in Florianópolis/SC, and I'm really eager to see the development of this barley wine until that. But after three weeks from now i'll try one, just to see how it's going.

Thanks again!! Bye.

Latest posts

Back