[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't know how much I can add to solving the issue @kxavier_23 is experiencing. The one thing that confused me is I thought you were running 4 flow meters, but when I see this line:

2021-01-13 20:43:27 FlowMonitor D Arduino says: C:5:3:5:7:9:0:0:300:100:30:100:0:0:1| 1

Doesn't this mean he has 5 meters attached at pins 3, 5, 7, 9, and 0 @RandR+?

I really don't know how much I can add to solving the issue @kxavier_23 is experiencing. The one thing that confused me is I thought you were running 4 flow meters, but when I see this line:

2021-01-13 20:43:27 FlowMonitor D Arduino says: C:5:3:5:7:9:0:0:300:100:30:100:0:0:1| 1

Doesn't this mean he has 5 meters attached at pins 3, 5, 7, 9, and 0 @RandR+?

I have 5 taps, but only 4 physical meters. I will be expanding to another meter soon, but for now I was entering manual pours or manually weighing the 5th keg on tap so that I had all the beers displaying on the frontend.

Is that a problem to have one or more 'manual' taps with no flowmeters?

9547 is the number of times that message has been logged since a different message was logged, on the webpage Log this number should be increasing every few seconds.

So that seems to be part of the issue. When the R3 'freezes up' and the Tx/Rx lights are steady, that number also stops.

Since you are seeing the same issues locally, does that mean you may be looking for a solution?

Thank you for everything so far.

Yep that was it. I fixed the issue now (its in github if you update)

This only presents itself if the keg volume is set when units are one unit and the tap count is change when the units are the other. But I think keg units are loaded as imperial so if you don't change the volume from the test data to do the calibration then this would present itself after you changed units and calibrated the tap. If you change the units then change the volume of the keg the keg takes the new units not the old one
Amazing! I will test this when I get back to University, will report back to you :)

i am planning to use beer tubing with an inside diameter of 4MM. To connect this to my valves i have 1/4" to 3/16
' barb john Guest adapters that fit into the valves. Before I build all this, i was looking at the diameter of the 3/16" barb and its pretty small. Do you think this will create a problem with my beer flow or foaming?

if so do you think increasing to 5mm ID tubuing and a 1/4" barb would help?

Thanks

I would stick with the 3/16" barbs and 4mm ID line (EVABarrier, I presume).

fwiw, I ran my SF800 meters for many years using JG 3/16" barbed adapters and had no issues with pour quality or meter resolution. And it isn't that difficult to shove 4mm ID EVABarrier tubing over a 3/16" barb (or 1/4", even) with the judicious use of hot water or a hair drier...

Cheers!

After a while my taps don't registers pours, is this due to a bad connection somewhere?

After a while my taps don't registers pours, is this due to a bad connection somewhere?
it could be, did you check the log page on the admin screen or /var/log/rpints.log on the pi for errors?

I do have an issue where my version of rpints stops, that I haven't figured out yet

I would stick with the 3/16" barbs and 4mm ID line

Great. Saves me from returning a bunch of stuff. Is there a recommendation for what order the valve and flow meter are. Should I put the flow meter closest to the ball lock or the valve?

I don't run valves, but if I did I'd put them as close to the keg as possible followed immediately by the flow meter. I have ~8 inches of tubing between post and meters and have consistently excellent pours...

final_assembly_12sm.jpg

Cheers!

it could be, did you check the log page on the admin screen or /var/log/rpints.log on the pi for errors?

I do have an issue where my version of rpints stops, that I haven't figured out yet
I created a cron job that restarts the flowmonitor every 6 hours ... 6, 12, 6, 12.

Also, I am trying to change the font as in post ~2758 and it is giving the error "Error opening file 'var/www/index.php/. permission denied, the file on disk may now be truncated... I am really bad at this lol

Also, I am trying to change the font as in post ~2758 and it is giving the error "Error opening file 'var/www/index.php/. permission denied, the file on disk may now be truncated... I am really bad at this lol
on the pi run the command from the terminal (assuming you kept the default install directory or /var/www/html)
sudo chmod +777 /var/www/html -R

this will open up all files for editing through the text editor

Hi, I use GIFs in the tap menu to identify which tap is which. I've been trying to modify tap_list.php to update gif file names. I have the field in tap_list.php, but when I update it, it just reverts back to the original value. I can manually update the field in the database table "taps" and it works fine, but I would like to add the functionality to the Raspberry Pints setup screens for ease of use.

I've tried replicating the code for "Start Amount" and "Current Amount", but that didn't work. I've settled with writing a stand-alone function in tap_manager.php to update the database table "taps" with the updated information but that doesn't work either. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on what I'm doing wrong?

Here is how the tap_list.php looks. When I change the name of the gif file and press enter, it just reverts back to what's there now.
tap_list_php.png

Here's a view of the "taps" table in the database.
phpadmin_taps_table.png

Here is a snippet of code from tap_list.php:
code_tap_list_1.png

Here's the function in tap_manager.php:
code_tap_manager_1.png

I know I'm updating a string and feel I need more quotes around .$tapGIF. in the function, but when I do that, the tap doesn't even load. When I use apostrophes similar to what is used in function "saveTapConfig" for "countpergallonunit", but that doesn't seem to work either... I spent about 4 hours last week trying to get this one thing to update as expected but I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Here is a snippet of code from tap_list.php:
Here's the function in tap_manager.php:
it seems you are sure your new function is being hit, you could add
echo $sql; exit to tap_manager.php line 89
this will print the sql that is being ran and stop loading. you can copy and paste that into phpmyadmin to run and check for errors

also the sql should be (with apostrophes)
$sql="UPDATE taps set tapGIF = '".$tapGIF."', modificationDate = NOW() WHERE id = ".$tap->get_id();

this will print the sql that is being ran and stop loading. you can copy and paste that into phpmyadmin to run and check for errors

$sql="UPDATE taps set tapGIF = '".$tapGIF."', modificationDate = NOW() WHERE id = ".$tap->get_id();

Thank you! I'll give it a shot and let you know.

I added the code, but am a php noob... Where do outputs from "echo" go? :)

Just a general question to when you are inventorying your kegs with actual tare weights.

When I add a beer to the keg and I have specified a SG for the beer, and I weigh the keg after filling, is RPints calculating the volume for me (beer weight (accounting for SG of beer) + keg tare weight)?

I used to do the math myself based on pre and post weight of the keg (accounting for beer SG wegith) + keg tare weight.

straight to the page you are loading. So instead of seeing the tap list after hitting save you will see the sql statement.
That little echo recommendation was exactly what I was trying to figure out how to do to troubleshoot this thing. And with that help, I was able to identify a few things I had wrong! I was also able to FINALLY GET IT WORKING!!!!! Thank you again!!! I'm so stoked! Now I can EASILY swap out my GIFs on the menu to match the tap handles I've got on my taps! WOOT! You're awesome, RandR+!

For anyone interested, my display is at On Tap @ The Bar Pub - RaspberryPints .

That little echo recommendation was exactly what I was trying to figure out how to do to troubleshoot this thing. And with that help, I was able to identify a few things I had wrong! I was also able to FINALLY GET IT WORKING!!!!! [...]

fwiw, the tradition here is to provide some insight into "what got it working" when someone helps another solve a problem...

Cheers!

I am just entering the full weight on the kegs page (Current Weight(lb):
The best thing to do is make sure the Show Weight Columns setting is checked on the taps screen, this will show the settings that RPints uses to calculate volume from weight and allow you to enter the weight directly on the tap screen instead of the keg screen.
1611061724342.png

If you don't want to have to setup each individual keg setting (PSI/Kegging Temp) check the Only Use Defaults

on the pi run the command from the terminal (assuming you kept the default install directory or /var/www/html)
sudo chmod +777 /var/www/html -R

this will open up all files for editing through the text editor

Sweet. That got me into the menu. I was able to change some of the font colors but need to figure out how to get the others to switch later. Then, how to get the tap images.. I saw @barrooze gifs on a google search when I was looking into it originally. Pretty sweet but I am not going that far out lol..

Also, will the pour amounts only update in kiosk mode? Right now I am running Chromium in full screen because it was easier to edit back and forth. I am using Plaato Kegs, as mentioned before. Working pretty well so far.

Cheers!

Then, how to get the tap images
if you just want images you can hit the upload button next to the tap description to display an image behind the text (clear the text to just have the image)
1611076355564.png

Also, will the pour amounts only update in kiosk mode?
If you are not using the RPints service you will have to manually refresh the page to get the latest volumes from plaato. When a pour is registered with RPints service it sends a signal to the webpage to refresh
If You are showing temperature on the main page it will auto refresh every 60 seconds but if not you can always edit index.php
change
1611076494873.png

to
1611076512719.png

I feel like I should have seen that little green arrow... I just assumed it moved the taps up the list if only I would have clicked it once...

If you are not using the RPints service you will have to manually refresh the page to get the latest volumes from plaato.

Also, is it possible to turn the service back on? I disabled it on (re)installation because I was having issues trying to get things all set up. First time on a Pi and didn't really know what I was doing.. Now that it is all, nearly, set up I am totally fine putting it back and leaving it alone. Though, I added the temp reading and it is updating now so if not, at least that works. I really appreciate the help!

Now that it is all, nearly, set up I am totally fine putting it back and leaving it alone. Though, I added the temp reading and it is updating now so if not, at least that works. I really appreciate the help!
if you don't have flow meters, the service doesn't do much nor will it trigger the refresh because it comes from them

not sure if I am having the same problem but my system stops working after a while usually 24 hours plus. The temp gauge on the front page stops updating. The tx/rx lights on the uno don’t flash and when I click restart flow monitor it doesnt restart. There are no entries in the log. I end up rebooting the PI to get it going again.

not sure if this helps but here is what is in my syllog when I restart. I scanned the syslog for any earlier entries around the time flowmon stops working ans I didn’t see anything

systemd[1]: flowmon.service: Found left-over process 1514 (sh) in control group while starting unit. Ignoring.
Jan 20 13:18:12 beer systemd[1]: This usually indicates unclean termination of a previous run, or service implementation deficiencies.
Jan 20 13:18:12 beer systemd[1]: flowmon.service: Found left-over process 1515 (installRaspberr) in control group while starting unit. Ignoring.
Jan 20 13:18:12 beer systemd[1]: This usually indicates unclean termination of a previous run, or service implementation deficiencies.
Jan 20 13:18:12 beer systemd[1]: flowmon.service: Found left-over process 1524 (installRaspberr) in control group while starting unit. Ignoring.
Jan 20 13:18:12 beer systemd[1]: flowmon.service: Found left-over process 1526 (installRaspberr) in control group while starting unit. Ignoring.
Jan 20 13:18:12 beer systemd[1]: flowmon.service: Found left-over process 1528 (tee) in control group while starting unit. Ignoring.
Jan 20 13:18:12 beer systemd[1]: flowmon.service: Found left-over process 2648 (flowmon) in control group while starting unit. Ignoring.
Jan 20 13:18:12 beer systemd[1]: flowmon.service: Found left-over process 2670 (systemctl) in control group while starting unit. Ignoring.
Jan 20 13:18:12 beer systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Put a short description of the service here...

Last edited:
not sure if this helps but here is what is in my syllog when I restart. I scanned the syslog for any earlier entries around the time flowmon stops working ans I didn’t see anything
I don't think the syslog will show anything, /var/log/rpints.log might but if its in the sketch then it wouldn't because there is no exception handling in arudinos

Been customising my RPints display, I've gone for a blackboard background, and a chalk like font and am pretty happy with it. So far I've managed to handle all the changes within style.css. However, my last pour value has two decimal places and looks a bit odd. Not to mention that I doubt my meters are anywhere near that accurate. :) Anyway, if someone could point me in the right direction so I can round that to whole numbers that would be ace. I also wouldn't mind getting rid of all the other headings apart from Beer name (although the content can stay) from the middle column.

Thanks in advance.

Anyway, if someone could point me in the right direction so I can round that to whole numbers that would be ace. I also wouldn't mind getting rid of all the other headings apart from Beer name (although the content can stay) from the middle column.
admin/includes/managers/pour_manager.php in the function getDisplayAmount it returns number_format($ret, 2), change 2 to 0 should round to the whole number.

The headers are set in includes/beerListTable.php line ~62 or includes/beerListTableVerticle.php line ~159

delete the lines
<?php if($config[ConfigNames::ShowBeerStyle]){ ?>&nbsp; &nbsp; STYLE<hr><?php } ?>
<?php if($config[ConfigNames::ShowBeerNotes]){ ?>&nbsp; &nbsp; TASTING NOTES<?php } ?>
<?php if($config[ConfigNames::ShowBeerRating]){?>&nbsp; &nbsp; RATING<hr><?php } ?>

Looked through the forum and can't find how to change the date/time format.

Also, how do you remove what I assume is the identifier for the temp probe?

Attachments

• RPints_5.png
    RPints_5.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 5
can't find how to change the date/time format.

Also, how do you remove what I assume is the identifier for the temp probe?
I would have to test but i think if you change the default date format in MySQL you would change it in RPints

In index.php ~line 254 change
$tempDisplay .= sprintf('%s:%0.1f%s<br/>', $probe, convert_temperature($temp, $tempUnit, $config[ConfigNames::DisplayUnitTemperature]), $config[ConfigNames::DisplayUnitTemperature]
TO
$tempDisplay .= sprintf('%0.1f%s<br/>', convert_temperature($temp, $tempUnit, $config[ConfigNames::DisplayUnitTemperature]), $config[ConfigNames::DisplayUnitTemperature] );
by removing the bolded parts

In index.php ~line 254 change
$tempDisplay .= sprintf('%s:%0.1f%s<br/>', $probe, convert_temperature($temp, $tempUnit, $config[ConfigNames::DisplayUnitTemperature]), $config[ConfigNames::DisplayUnitTemperature]
TO
$tempDisplay .= sprintf('%0.1f%s<br/>', convert_temperature($temp, $tempUnit, $config[ConfigNames::DisplayUnitTemperature]), $config[ConfigNames::DisplayUnitTemperature] );
by removing the bolded parts

That fixed it. Thanks!

Changing the default date/time format in MySQL is beyond my abilities :)

Back