Variable control for electric element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don204

Reaction score
Instead of using my PID to adjust the output I wanted to add a control knob to manually turn the power up and down like on the high gravity systems. Has anyone done this? Can you recommend a part that will handle a 2k element?
Should it be wired in after the SSR?
Thanks

Any 25A SSVR and the appropriate potentiometer will do the job with a 2kW element. 40A for 5.5kW/240V. Wire it inline between the SSR and output.

Either get the Still Dragon kit if you need an enclosure, heatsink, pot and label etc. with it, or something off of eBay - e.g. 25A SSVR (no idea of the quality of this particular one).

Sounds like it might be more hassle than it's worth. I didn't know I would need another relay

Use the duty cycle function on the PID to control boil rate?

It uses the same setup, no rewiring or added costs.

I do use the duty cycle feature, I just thought it would be neat to have a dial if it was simple enough to add. No big deal

Are you familiar with the OUTL & OUTH PID functions? I tried it yesterday and it worked fantastic! I changed the OUTL to 60% & the OUTH to 70% and the boil was quite steady! I use two 3500 elements.

Back